Wisconsin Trout Opener

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

driftless angler
Master Guide

Wisconsin Trout Opener

Post by driftless angler »

Today was the Wisconsin catch and release trout opener. I was at the cabin in Northern Wisconsin, where the low last night was -18 F and the high today got to 1 above. I wasn't going to go under those conditions, but then..... it was the opener, the sun was out, the Lamiglas 7' 3wt was still strung up in the corner from October's last day of the season (sorry not bamboo, but I wouldn't leave boo strung up in the corner) and I knew of a spring creek down the road that might have a midge hatch under these conditions.

I got on the water at 11:30 when it was -2 F. Sure enough the trout were rising to size 32 midges. Thankfully they took size #24.

Some photos:

Smoke on the water

Icy cattails

Success!

In an hour and a half I caught five brook trout and 2 browns and missed a few others on a smokejumper. Each time I was able to reach underwater with a forceps and remove the fly without touching the fish or exposing them to the frigid air temps. I cast a fixed amount of line, as stripping line back in upon catching a fish resulted in a frozen line and guides that would have to be thawed before fishing again. 90 minutes was enough, I could no longer feel my hands.

All in all, though, it felt great to get out. Happy New Year to you all!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wisconsin Trout Opener

Post by PYochim »

You are a brave man. Nicely done.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Well done! Great start to a new year!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Absolutely intrepid! What happens to a midge when it hatches on a day like this? Turns into a rice krispie? Happy New Year, Driftless.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Balmy conditions...-3 F for a high temp here . ;) Tomorrow morning should be interesting, temps should be around -25 or colder.

There must be some serious springs there to have open water in these temps, most of the freestoners have at least shelf ice if not frozen over except at the riffles. Glad you had a successful outing...and bravo on your in-water release, I appreciate your sensible handling of fish in these extreme temps. I'm cringing at all the hero shots I'm seeing on social media today with no regard to fish freezing their gills and eyes.

driftless angler
Master Guide

Thanks everyone. Kinda crazy to get out but then you know.... cabin fever. JoeBolt, the midges never got off the surface. Looked a bit like a spinner fall, but more "crumpled" looking. Gerard - found this spot a couple of summers ago - I was shivering on a 85 degree day, very good springs.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Awesome! Better you than me.

Greg, that looks strangely familiar to me.

Happy New Year!

John

driftless angler
Master Guide

Ha! It should look familiar to you John!

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I cannot believe you managed to avoid a frozen line. I go fishing if temperatures are around 28 degrees. Anything colder it is more a hike than a fishing outing for me. I did fish many years ago on a creek by Red Wing without checking the weather. After a few minutes, I had to throw my rod and line on the trunk, completely frozen.

I can manage frozen guides, but once I cannot cast line, I turn it into a hiking / scouting outing.

Do you tie a size 24 "Pink Squirrel Midge"? :)

Tight Lines

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I used to fish PA's Cumberland Valley spring creeks all winter, but I had a five cast rule. I had to be able to make five casts and retrieves before I had to thaw the line from the guides or I would stop fishing. Allowing the outfit to just freeze solid and stay that way was not an option, as I caught some of my largest wild browns and rainbows in winter.

More power to you!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

driftless angler
Master Guide

Yeah, I fished a fixed amount of line and kept the line in the water. Upon catching a fish, I had to put all the guides in the water to get the ice off and do the same with the fixed amount of line. Another reason to go with fiberglass - I wouldn't cry if I broke a rod, guide, etc. fishing in stupid, crazy conditions.

Pink squirrel midge? Great idea!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

That's terrific. Good on you. I've done that a few times myself (caught trout in frigid temps). But I've become a tad wimpy in my advancing age. I like your spirit.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Greg, maybe a tenkara fly rod, no frozen guides while fishing in crazy, frigid conditions.

Scotty's Midge.

John

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Great post...

There is something really special about winter flyfishing for trout... it's serene and very peaceful, never crowded... seeing a stonefly, hearing a bird, walking through snow when the sun shines--- no matter the air temp--- makes an otherwise normal winter day special... I've been at it since 2012... Kudos to you! :)

Ed

driftless angler
Master Guide

John, I will have to try Scotty's Midge looks like a great fly.

Ed, so true. I did not have the river to myself. A bald eagle and kingfisher were in audience, the kingfisher was either annoyed by my presence or jeering my frozen backcast. A flock of geese were just upstream. The highlight was a large otter, that kept getting closer and closer, poking his head up through holes in the stream side ice, looking me over.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

driftless angler wrote:
01/04/22 07:50
John, I will have to try Scotty's Midge looks like a great fly.
I was chatting with Craig Mathews just after Christmas about Western midge hatches and patterns. Craig recommended the skittering Scotty's Midge pattern. I just received the crinkled Zelon in Coachman Red from BRF. I am anxious to try the pattern this year.

John

driftless angler
Master Guide

Please report back how it works John. I was using a similar pattern on the Kinni yesterday. I tied mine with a CDC wing and omitted the zelon tail, as I have had issues with that penetrating the film in smaller size flies. Not many risers, but I managed a few on that fly during a very sparse midge hatch.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

driftless angler wrote:
01/05/22 16:32
Please report back how it works John. I was using a similar pattern on the Kinni yesterday. I tied mine with a CDC wing and omitted the zelon tail, as I have had issues with that penetrating the film in smaller size flies. Not many risers, but I managed a few on that fly during a very sparse midge hatch.
Greg, I don't really run into good midge hatches in northern Wisco freestoners, other than the stream you were on for the opener. I usually run into midge hatches out West and I am usually unprepared.

I was recently re-reading "In the Ring of the Rise" by Marinaro (one of my all-time favorite FF books). On page #72 Marinaro discusses a pattern he developed using three toppy feathers from a wood duck. He twists them together into a yarn before tying them on.

Anyway, that gave me a brain quirk and I tried tying midges with 2-3 starling feathers twisted together in a yarn at the thorax. I liked it so much I tied up a dozen. This is meant to stay in the film as a midge struggling to emerge. No idea if it will work. I hope to try it soon once we get out of the deep freeze.

I really like using starling feathers and I like using a Zelon trailing shuck. (CDC not so much. :) )

BTW, this is the first year in many years we were not up north for the Holidays. If we had been up there, I would have been on my home waters for the opener. Our sone was home from the Army and his long-time sweetheart from the "UK" crossed the big pond to be with us. They got engaged on News Year Eve, (Unfortunately, her family doesn't fish.)

John

driftless angler
Master Guide

Congrats to your son John! Great news! Well, we can agree on starling! Great looking fly!

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

Driftless, great report and story. I also own a cabin in the northwoods of Wisconsin near Lac du Flambeau. Have not been up in recent winters since I am older. I am amazed at your stamina for getting out. Beautiful area.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”