Reelseat and ferrule ID help needed

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Jcrouse
Guide

Reelseat and ferrule ID help needed

Post by Jcrouse »

Hey all,

Can anyone help positively match this hardware with a company? Thanks in advance.

JustinImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Reelseat and ferrule ID help needed

Post by Caneghost »

The seat and the female ferrule appear identical to my old Horrocks-Ibbotson "Hudson" rod, chromed or otherwise plated, rather than more expensive nickel silver. The male ferrules were overwrapped when I had the rod, my Grandfather's, refinished to make it fishable years ago. The gentleman overwrapped the ferrules longer than normal as some had started to split, and used epoxy finish. The replacement of the ferrules would have cost me more than the value of the rod at the time and its value is much more sentimental than practical.

I think you have an H-I there!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Caneghost wrote:The seat and the female ferrule appear identical to my old Horrocks-Ibbotson "Hudson" rod, chromed or otherwise plated, rather than more expensive nickel silver. The male ferrules were overwrapped when I had the rod, my Grandfather's, refinished to make it fishable years ago. The gentleman overwrapped the ferrules longer than normal as some had started to split, and used epoxy finish. The replacement of the ferrules would have cost me more than the value of the rod at the time and its value is much more sentimental than practical.

I think you have an H-I there!
Thanks!!! I suspected as much as it seems HI did that double sort of half knurled bands on a lot of their ferrules. Any chance of seeing a picture of yours? No biggie if not, I appreciate your response!

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Upon looking again, I see that the dual bands are visible on some of the male ferrules. Here are three shots. I don't think there is any question the hardware matches. The gunmaker that refinished the rod saved the decal and I shot that. There are H-I guys on here that can give you approximate dates based upon decals from what I have seen. I believe they changed hardware too over the years. Wish my cork was as nice as yours appears to be!

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

This is all the confirmation I need! Thanks so much!

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

A later South Bend, very cheap stuff.
Mike

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”