<()))>< Considering Moving

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Considering Moving

Post by henkverhaar »

ibookje wrote:
01/03/22 11:37
Come to The Netherlands Mark! :rollin

We got:

* densely populated cities (although not LA or NY City type of cities)
* no mountains so lots of coarse fishing
* just a few fly shops
* traffic jams every morning and late afternoon
* gas prices through the roof
* great cheese
* housing prices going nuts too

I'll hand you one of my Stalkers as welcome gift! ;)
However - we DO have a trout stream ;-)

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I've been looking at moving for several years. Big problem I've found is that many great fishing towns aren't close to great healthcare. I'm guessing many of us here would need to take that into consideration.

Barry

tomimc1
Sport

Post by tomimc1 »

So, we are looking to be somewhere between the GSNP and the Shenandoa NP. And, yes, there is ruffed grouse hunting there too.
Looks like a sound plan....lot's of options here in the Great Valley Region. I was up in Carlisle until three or so years ago, now in Harrisonburg, VA. I would give PA the edge for trout fishing vs what I'm finding here in VA, but it's still darn good. SNP is 30minutes to the east, the GW Nat'l forest is 30 minutes to the west, so plenty of brookie water to learn and explore. Also a couple of spring creeks close by, Mossy & Beaver, but not quite on the same level of the Cumberland Valley limestoners or State College waters, imho. Also the tailwaters further south on the Tenn/VA border zone which I have yet to check out, but intend to.

Grouse? I'm about as green as they come, this is my second season, and there are birds around....just need to work harder for them than in the good ol' days it seems. Habitat issues, WNV is a factor, but I've read that that's mostly a lower elevation thing?....not as many skeeters above 3000' to spread it around from what I understand. Got out yesterday with my buddy and his dogs and we had 14 flushes, but had to work for them...2 mile climb gaining 1800ft or so right out of the truck to reach the ridgeline up around 4000'. All told, in 7hrs we covered 11miles with 4000ft of elevation gain in order to hunt out n back along about 3.5miles of lumpy ridgline...solid effort, but we did find the birds.

Golf....can't speak to that, but there is some of the finest bike riding on the planet here in the Mid Atlantic.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Let's see, people moved in, people posted how great the fishing was, people exclaimed how nice the area was, people provided photos for a lot of years or great looking streams etc. that weren't all that hard to decipher.

These same people are now surprised that there are too many crowds now and they just are so perplexed. People are kind of silly.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
01/16/22 14:57
I've been looking at moving for several years. Big problem I've found is that many great fishing towns aren't close to great healthcare. I'm guessing many of us here would need to take that into consideration.

Barry
Yup. I mentioned Libby, MT in my previous post in this thread. There's a county hospital that can take care of general needs, etc. But for more intense stuff the closest big hospital is in Kalispell, which is close to 2 hours away. For really specialized care, the closest major medical centers are in the Coeur d'Alene/Spokane area. And that's 3 hrs away.
Brian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Heddon20 wrote:
01/16/22 17:01
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
01/16/22 14:57

Barry
Yup. I mentioned Libby, MT in my previous post in this thread. There's a county hospital that can take care of general needs, etc. But for more intense stuff the closest big hospital is in Kalispell, which is close to 2 hours away. For really specialized care, the closest major medical centers are in the Coeur d'Alene/Spokane area. And that's 3 hrs away.
Interesting as just over the hill from Libby is the finest golf course I have ever played. The Wilderness Club is just flat out awesome!!! I played in California, Virgina, Maryland, N.J., Pa., Cabo, Mexico etc. This course is to die for!!! I've I move I'll come back to Mt. every year just to play this course. Oh, and there is a bit of trout fishing around there too. :)

Pastor Ben
Sport

Post by Pastor Ben »

hey there

I feel your pain I first came to the Gallatin Valley in 1973, to attend MSU….Dan Bailey could still be seen at sitting at his desk…Bud Lilly could be seen at his shop or at church in Three Forks. My wife and I have had the pleasure of living in Three Forks, and Manhattan. We also called Butte home for a while and the Ruby Valley. When they started subdividing the Horseshoe hills I knew the valley was doomed… You know the SW Montana area and the little communities and their pros and cons….

I would look at Marsh Harbour on the Island of Abaco in the Bahamas …it took a beating from the last Hurricane to hit it but “should’ be recovering now…Great Bone fishing, and off shore fishing. Only a short plane ride to the States…. When the next hurricane shows up…. No Cruise ships call so that circus is not a problem…
Just try to think out side the box

Grace and peace

Ben
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. ~ Robert Frost

LeoCreek
Sport

Post by LeoCreek »

carl otto wrote:
01/03/22 11:30
...If these all exist in one place, like a great unpublised trout stream, no one is going to tell you where.

Unfortunately we now live in a marketplace that is instantly advertised and rated, with a population of wealth that is fluid and attracted to those "last best places". You live long enough and you see the great spotlight of desirability falls on one community after another and they are developed out of their posiitive attributes in a decade or so.

Do not despair, there is a path to acheive your goal. Alas, but not to put out in the public domain.
rsagebrush wrote:
01/16/22 15:52
Let's see, people moved in, people posted how great the fishing was, people exclaimed how nice the area was, people provided photos for a lot of years of great looking streams etc. that weren't all that hard to decipher.

These same people are now surprised that there are too many crowds now and they just are so perplexed. People are kind of silly.
carl otto and rsagebrush said it so well. Would have thought we'd have learned to not "hot spot" by now...

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Pastor Ben wrote:
01/16/22 21:28
hey there

I feel your pain I first came to the Gallatin Valley in 1973, to attend MSU….Dan Bailey could still be seen at sitting at his desk…Bud Lilly could be seen at his shop or at church in Three Forks. My wife and I have had the pleasure of living in Three Forks, and Manhattan. We also called Butte home for a while and the Ruby Valley. When they started subdividing the Horseshoe hills I knew the valley was doomed… You know the SW Montana area and the little communities and their pros and cons….

I would look at Marsh Harbour on the Island of Abaco in the Bahamas …it took a beating from the last Hurricane to hit it but “should’ be recovering now…Great Bone fishing, and off shore fishing. Only a short plane ride to the States…. When the next hurricane shows up…. No Cruise ships call so that circus is not a problem…
Just try to think out side the box

Grace and peace

Ben
Hi Pastor Ben,
Thank you for your input but sand and saltwater make my skin crawl. :) I can't far enough away from the beach. :) That was one of the reasons I moved to Mt.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

LeoCreek wrote:
01/16/22 22:35
carl otto wrote:
01/03/22 11:30
...If these all exist in one place, like a great unpublised trout stream, no one is going to tell you where.

Unfortunately we now live in a marketplace that is instantly advertised and rated, with a population of wealth that is fluid and attracted to those "last best places". You live long enough and you see the great spotlight of desirability falls on one community after another and they are developed out of their posiitive attributes in a decade or so.

Do not despair, there is a path to acheive your goal. Alas, but not to put out in the public domain.
rsagebrush wrote:
01/16/22 15:52
Let's see, people moved in, people posted how great the fishing was, people exclaimed how nice the area was, people provided photos for a lot of years of great looking streams etc. that weren't all that hard to decipher.

carl otto and rsagebrush said it so well. Would have thought we'd have learned to not "hot spot" by now...
Can't argue with that. My bad!

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

Google Cummington. There's only one.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

MGrallert wrote:
01/18/22 17:30
Thanx but sorry, I could never ever live in Red Sox Country. 8)

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

:rollin
Hellmtflies wrote:
01/18/22 17:37
MGrallert wrote:
01/18/22 17:30
oh ya I should have known by your avatar. Oddly for some strange we are yankee country out here. Not me of course but lots of folks.

Thanx but sorry, I could never ever live in Red Sox Country. 8)

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Mark;

Cathy and I moved to Washington State nearly 7 years ago. I am retiring in July of this year and Cathy is considering retiring the year after me. We are pondering the same thing as you and your wife are considering - moving again. The building spree in the Spokane area is crazy and it has spread to building houses and apartments ALL around us - and getting worse. Building more houses does NOT guarantee services keep up with demand. The restaurants are full to overflowing. Housing costs are through the roof. As Paul said, our house has more than doubled - but so has everything else. I have been researching various real estate markets around the country and it is very limited. Areas with lower populations have sketchy medical options (and we are in our middle-60's and I don't think we'll get younger), schools are crammed and on and on...

So, what on your list are you willing to give up? If you're looking for remote, you're looking at no services, little or no medical services and limited housing. If you're looking at sporting properties to hunt and fish (even public lands) so is everyone else - and those with the biggest wallet usually wins those. And, as far as living how you want and doing it on modest means, well, I think you can find such a place, but you'll sure have to put in a bunch of research to find it. I've been looking for a year. The two places we put a bid on so far have been in the $400k range - and were bid up to $500k+ and were still going.

If you find such a place, pm me. You might have a new neighbor! :)

Pat

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

State College Pennsylvania. College town, world class trout nearby, good health care.

tomimc1
Sport

Post by tomimc1 »

Mark, along the lines of you mentioning this stretch between GSNP & SBP. There is that new park over at the New River Gorge...that area of WV could seriously be the next best place. Fayetteville, Snowshoe, Canaan Valley region of the Monongahela NF, the Greenbriar for that golf fetish. Plenty of grouse, but they take some work around these parts. Not sure about the healthcare access, probably sux. There is the 50mile? radius radio free zone due to the observatory at Greenbank....about as off grid as you can get nowadays. Plenty enough brookie water to last a lifetime of exploring, also the Elk is right there and TN tail waters aren't too far off. Good smallie fishing on the New from what I hear.

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

I moved to Missoula 6 years ago for the fishing which is great, as is the hunting - though I don't hunt. The winters are kind of nice here, with very little wind. Gret hiking. Great skeet and trap club. Summers are brutally hot. This, however, is a very progressive city with Increasing potholes and real estate taxes, fueled in part, by the city spending millions on homeless folks. Homeless are coming here from everywhere because they know they get a free ride. Also, if you are conservative it will be very hard for you to make friends here unless you are active in a church. If I had to do it over again, I would move to Boise, even though the fishing is not nearly as good.

Randy

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

https://archive.curbed.com/2019/1/22/18 ... g-downtown

..and this article was written pre-covid migration. Now you can multiply the problems listed by a factor of at least x2.

golffish
Guide

Post by golffish »

Mark,

I would consider the Tri-Cities area of NE Tennessee. Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol area. Excellent medical facilities, golf, and both tail water and small streams to fish. There used to be decent grouse hunting but I can't speak to that these days. I just remember how rough the country was the last time I went may years ago. Also no state income taxes in Tennessee.

Best of luck with your search.

John

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I would consider the Tri-Cities area of NE Tennessee. Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol area. Excellent medical facilities, golf, and both tail water and small streams to fish. There used to be decent grouse hunting but I can't speak to that these days. I just remember how rough the country was the last time I went may years ago. Also no state income taxes in Tennessee.
I was looking at this area several years ago and the crime rate concerned me. Maybe it's improved.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”