<()))>< Considering Moving

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Considering Moving

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
01/03/22 11:37
Come to The Netherlands Mark! :rollin

We got:

* densely populated cities (although not LA or NY City type of cities)
* no mountains so lots of coarse fishing
* just a few fly shops
* traffic jams every morning and late afternoon
* gas prices through the roof
* great cheese
* housing prices going nuts too

I'll hand you one of my Stalkers as welcome gift! ;)

If I ever move to the Netherlands it will be to Amsterdam. ;)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

The search for the last good place (that is what NZ calls itself, that or God's Own Country) could prove very, very difficult. Best of luck Mark.
Last edited by PT48 on 01/04/22 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

gt05254 wrote:
01/03/22 14:51
Paul Schullery just moved back to Manchester, VT after years in Bozeman. Same reasons as you (plus the smoke) and I think he made a good choice of new location...but I'm biased living 20 miles south of Manchester, still in VT. There's a lot to like here (incl. grouse and trout). Oh, and for quite awhile, we were the most vaccinated state in the Union. Don't know where we stand at the moment.
Gary
Thank you. I was wondering why I hadn't seen Schullery around for a while. I miss his wife's art work too. :) Yea, the smoke is one of the things that really disturbs my wife. The summer is often full of smoke from the fires west of here.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
01/03/22 18:40
The search for the last good place (that is what NZ calls itself, that or God's Own) - could prove very, very difficult. Best of luck Mark.
l!
Mark
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 01/04/22 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

Interesting, I consider moving as well. To a small town south of Vienna (25.000 people). 1/3 cheaper and about 12 nice trout streams wihin a one-hour-drive-radius. I don´t golf, but there's a golf course nearby so I just might give it a try. I also don´t hunt grouse, but I enjoy The Famous Grouse Whisky.

Btw: I plan to visit Montana next May, any tips?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Mark if you agree with this option, there are a lot more choices! :D

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:
01/04/22 13:17
Mark if you agree with this option, there are a lot more choices! :D

Ha! Thanx for the laugh. Too funny.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

My college cross country coach once quipped, "Golf is a good walk spoiled." Rather ironic since we raced on golf courses.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Michael Jordan and Tiger ... they were just here in Branson setting up a new deal.
Justin Timberlake and some other celebs are golfing here on the regular.
So neat to see Tiger Woods and the following that still occurs.

The Bass Pro Guy Johhny Morris has a tournament here too every year. I bump into lots of the old guys fishing.
Talking rods in the parking lot the other day with PGA tour pro.

Branson has golf coming on strong.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

moved out of Portland. or. in 2010 , was able to sell my home for enough to buy a home outright and move to a spacious lot( same size lot as my home in portlands felony flats ) w/ a out building on site for my shop as well as a carport. in a mobile park in mcminnville , this town has 30,000 people but retains the small town appeal , at 490.00 a month the space rent is most doable . The yamhill county property tax is 950.00 a yr w/ a 5% discount if paid in full right away. We have none of the tent camping on the main drive but see them on the many protected wetlands we have near bridges and overpasses. Mcminnville allows access to coastal streams that flow into the valley as well as towards the coast . From coosbay to north of seaside there are numerous lakes and reservoirs to explore w/ salmon and steelhead available during certain times in certain streams . A derth of antique and second hand stores allow for a time spender between fishing places .I am not a hunter , but i suppose there are opertunities there also.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I could name a few really nice small towns in Montana and a couple in Wyoming, but I will refrain because I am sure that Mark is aware of them.
Nobody in science, the media or the government ever mentions that the the problem to everyone of these issues that we speak of are caused by overpopulation. The natural world is running out of resources to feed/drink, house, transport, entertain, store waste, etc. for the 7.8 billion and growing population.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Webfly wrote:
01/04/22 14:48
I could name a few really nice small towns in Montana and a couple in Wyoming, but I will refrain because I am sure that Mark is aware of them.
Nobody in science, the media or the government ever mentions that the the problem to everyone of these issues that we speak of are caused by overpopulation. The natural world is running out of resources to feed/drink, house, transport, entertain, store waste, etc. for the 7.8 billion and growing population.

This message is being sent out almost daily, at least from the sources I’m regularly checking in on. The problem is more than half of the people outright deny it, and most of the rest of us are reluctant to do anything meaningful about it, because let’s face it, life is still pretty cush right now.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

The virtual golf joke is actually not such a joke. Golf courses use a lot of water and aren't so great for the environment. Especially in places like Phoenix and others areas where water is scarce but people still want their golf courses and their grass lawns. I imagine water shortages will be a problem in many western states as things continue to heat up. The next thing will be virtual fly fishing. It is probably just around the corner. We'll all be fishing in a holodeck. Webfly is spot on, although I think there are plenty of scientists who are mentioning the problem, they just aren't being given any publicity. If you look for it, there are plenty of books on the topic. Not really a pleasant topic to start out the new year though.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

BruceHandley wrote:
01/03/22 13:34
Mark
We have most of what you are looking for, a stable population of about 20,000, golf, trout fishing (and salmon and bowfin). The taxes are livable, can still get a nice home for abut $150,000, and the local population is friendly. The only downside is that you get to have cold weather for about 5 months, but that may change in the near future. In the old days a temp. of -20 to -25 was not out of the question, last winter only had one day of -5, walking the dog every day is getting better.
Bruce
hah!!! how does your murceialago start in september till may? i went to st. lawrence, in canton, and we had pledges starting cars in the parking lot all year, a person could oversleep and entirely miss summer.

highest regards, jim

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

BigTJ wrote:
01/04/22 16:30
Webfly wrote:

This message is being sent out almost daily, at least from the sources I’m regularly checking in on. The problem is more than half of the people outright deny it, and most of the rest of us are reluctant to do anything meaningful about it, because let’s face it, life is still pretty cush right now.
You are correct, I hear them addressing the resource dilemma daily, but I never hear them address the population problem.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Other than weather, my family had a nice fishing camp in Ontario. Located on a lake full of native lake trout and with a native brook trout outlet stream on the logging road that was the only means of reaching the area. Surrounded by small lakes and a larger river that could be reached by portage. It was so peaceful and off the beaten path that Ontario decided to turn it into a forever wild provincial park and forced us out. Sell out by X and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. So add to your list of must have's, no chance of being thrown off the land.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/03/22 10:44
"OK" I know this may seem odd but after sixteen years in Bozeman, Mt. my better half and I are considering moving. "Boze Angeles" has become completely blown out. It's over here. Not the town I was introduced to in the early eighties. Way too many people and development. Development here has become explosive. Developers are crushing this place. The costs are off the charts. An example is the fact that our home has more than doubled in value in just eight years. Taxes and traffic too. The loss of that small town feel have caused us to consider a move. I mean it has gotten off the charts here. The recourses like fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing etc. are being overrun. It no longer is " The Last Best Place". >:(
So, we are considering getting the heck outta here. Now, the question is where to go? The place must be a town smaller than 20,000 with a warmer climate that has trout fishing, grouse hunting and a good golf course in close proximity. We have a condo in N.C. but too far east from trout etc. So, give me a few ideas folks. Where to go? The place needs to be able to accept a couple that is completely retired and older than middle age, has a steady income, though modest, and lean to a moderate demographic. Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? Let me know.
Thanx! Mark
hello, deadeye; i believe wyoming still has more bovines than humans. you could even run for congress as a tenderfoot ;)
regards, jim

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Webfly wrote:
Amen!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx Folks!

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I would second the White River and Mt. Home. No great medical less than 3 hours ways. Fisihing is good, crowds are small since it is not near a major metropolitan area. MGood Medical is 3 hours away get life flight insurace. I fished it years ago and participated in thre differnt Whitlokc VIbert VBox introductions of brown trout. Hot and humid in the summer. Quail hunting versus grouse. I could also mention Stevens Point Wisconsin. Lots of trout fishing due to the efforts of TU, WISCONSIN FISHERIES AND THE UW Stevens Point. Lots of streams and river to fish, grouse hunting and more than one golf course.
Gregg

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”