<()))>< Considering Moving

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< Considering Moving

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx everyone for your input. We will plug all of his into the equation. The focus is the SE. We'll see what we see. I'll keep you all posted.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Watched a few episodes of Living Big Sky on HGTV this weekend. Although somewhat staged... 30 somethings looking for a retreat with enough land to build a runway... guess you know the story

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Salar4me wrote:
01/26/22 12:38
Watched a few episodes of Living Big Sky on HGTV this weekend. Although somewhat staged... 30 somethings looking for a retreat with enough land to build a runway... guess you know the story
Oh....I can tell you a few stories. Most of them comically sad.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Salar4me wrote:
If it's on HGTV, it's already ruined.

afried
Sport

Post by afried »

"The Great Land Grab is on one more time in the wild West, especially in Montana. Hordes of people seeking refuge from the increasing madness, violence, and general frenetic pace of city life are storming the state's borders, buying up chunks of land at an ever accelerating rate." A comment on current events? Not quite. The opening lines from an article by John Holt in the Dec. 1994 Fly Fisherman Magazine.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Mark, I recommend you go into flyfishingforum.com and read The Rent Is Too Darn High under General Discussion. It’s also “ Bozeman / Where to Move “ oriented as well, with 106 posts on day 10 of the thread. You may see some new suggestions there or enjoy some other’s thoughts.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, It seems that Bozemanites are caught somewhere between:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Milagro_Beanfield_War

and:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowsto ... TV_series)

It ain't easy ....

Jay Edwards

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

The Milagro Beanfield War is a great read. Read it twenty years ago.

The TV series "Yellowstone" is simply trash, IMHO.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Post #88: x2
paul

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't watch and I hate 'Yellowstone' and love Milagro, but somewhere between the two may lie Bozeman's predicament, unless, of course, it's already escaped in the Yellowstone direction.

Jay Edwards

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/29/22 10:47

The TV series "Yellowstone" is simply trash, IMHO.
Without going into everything wrong with that series, I emphatically agree.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I watched it once. A character rode his horse from Hardin to the Bitterroot ranch in half an afternoon. And then some guys were on horses mid-stream flyfishing on horseback. That was it for me. PeeWee’s Playhouse makes more sense.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I remember when the family on Bonanza used to ride into Virginia city for a drink at the bar, got to be pretty thirsty to do that. Of course those cowboys could put on some miles when they were thirsty indeed.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Mark, if you're considering the SE come to the Bamboo Bash, April 21-23, in Townsend TN this Spring. Alexis and I will be there and you can maybe meet some of your new neighbors! It's a great time and you'll meet the nicest people! We always spend some time exploring the area and it's really beautiful that time of year...

Tom

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Mark, thank you for starting this post, I've read all the replies, some more than once. And I'm now sure I need to stay where I'm at. I have a big river in the back yard, 100 + acres to walk the dogs in and can still find a place to fish without see another person. That way I don't have to figure out how to move my shop. And if things get out of hand as some of the other posts have indicated could happen, well its only 17 miles to Canada and that can't be bad.
Bruce

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/03/22 10:44
"OK" I know this may seem odd but after sixteen years in Bozeman, Mt. my better half and I are considering moving. "Boze Angeles" has become completely blown out. It's over here. Not the town I was introduced to in the early eighties. Way too many people and development. Development here has become explosive. Developers are crushing this place. The costs are off the charts. An example is the fact that our home has more than doubled in value in just eight years. Taxes and traffic too. The loss of that small town feel have caused us to consider a move. I mean it has gotten off the charts here. The recourses like fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing etc. are being overrun. It no longer is " The Last Best Place". >:(
So, we are considering getting the heck outta here. Now, the question is where to go? The place must be a town smaller than 20,000 with a warmer climate that has trout fishing, grouse hunting and a good golf course in close proximity. We have a condo in N.C. but too far east from trout etc. So, give me a few ideas folks. Where to go? The place needs to be able to accept a couple that is completely retired and older than middle age, has a steady income, though modest, and lean to a moderate demographic. Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? Let me know.
Thanx! Mark
West, By God, Virginia. Almost Heaven. Just don’t tell anyone.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Mike N wrote:
01/30/22 21:07
Hellmtflies wrote:
01/03/22 10:44
"OK" I know this may seem odd but after sixteen years in Bozeman, Mt. my better half and I are considering moving. "Boze Angeles" has become completely blown out. It's over here. Not the town I was introduced to in the early eighties. Way too many people and development. Development here has become explosive. Developers are crushing this place. The costs are off the charts. An example is the fact that our home has more than doubled in value in just eight years. Taxes and traffic too. The loss of that small town feel have caused us to consider a move. I mean it has gotten off the charts here. The recourses like fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing etc. are being overrun. It no longer is " The Last Best Place". >:(
So, we are considering getting the heck outta here. Now, the question is where to go? The place must be a town smaller than 20,000 with a warmer climate that has trout fishing, grouse hunting and a good golf course in close proximity. We have a condo in N.C. but too far east from trout etc. So, give me a few ideas folks. Where to go? The place needs to be able to accept a couple that is completely retired and older than middle age, has a steady income, though modest, and lean to a moderate demographic. Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? Let me know.
Thanx! Mark
West, By God, Virginia. Almost Heaven. Just don’t tell anyone.
PM sent.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I noticed it all went to heck around 1992, some yankees fan I hear, posting on the web... >:D My move when it occurs will be to sand, salt, and sunshine. Good luck sorting it all out...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

It is important to remember that those (myself included) who moved to the western states are considered by some locals to be a contributor to the situation.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Certainly I am to blame as well. However I prefer to cast the bulk of the blame on the real estate business. The Last Best Place schtick was over the top. I saw speculators in the 90's drive prices to where they are today along with spending huge sums of money to promote MT in every periodical you can name. Sad to see the change, but heck it is still a good place to be stuck...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”