Hardy Split Cane

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Raggytash1234

Hardy Split Cane

Post by Raggytash1234 »

Hi there, is there anyone on this forum who could help me I.D a Hardy Palakona fly rod please...?
So, i was given this Hardy Palakona rod by an elderly friend, my friend is in his mid seventies and the rod belonged to his Father.

The rod is 9' 6"long
in 3 sections with suction type furrels
cigar shaped handle
crimson bindings

Dont be too bothered about the real....thats another project
As you can see, all the important lettering has gone...so this is what i reckon..

Rod is probably 1920s
its either a jjh No2 or a Deluxe
Is it true at the time you could "cherry pick" Furrels,Handles and Reel seats ?

Also, what weight of line would be suitable ?

TIA Robin Watson

Palakona123
Guide

Re: Hardy Split Cane

Post by Palakona123 »

I would agree with it being a JJH No. 2, but not a Deluxe. If a JJH No. 2 it should be 9’9’’ long and have «studlock» ferrules, not suction. Rods at this time would often be made by order, but I doubt that was the case with this rod. If it Is a JJH No. 2, the model name should also be written on one of the flat sides, towards the tip. The palakona trade mark would be written around the blank, as with all other Hardy rods. From the lettering style I would guess that the rod was made in the mid 30s. There should be a serial number stamped on the NS reel seat that can give the year of manufacture.
The rod seems to have had a hard life, but if all sections are present, without damage, it might be worth having it restored, but the reel seat might be a challenge.

Here is a picture of a LRH dry fly 9’4’’, made in 1946, showing the reel seat and «studlock» ferrules.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”