Wholesale Fly Company

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

eapling
Guide

Wholesale Fly Company

Post by eapling »

Have any of you gotten hooks from these folk?

barebo
Master Guide

Re: Wholesale Fly Company

Post by barebo »

I have, and they're consistent in size and the quantity to dollar cost is attractive. Very light gold in color. Not on par with your higher end hooks but serviceable.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

+1 a very happy customer here. Even moreso with their tungsten beads.

thehersh
Guide

Post by thehersh »

Good and bad.Bought some 60degree jig hooks,they did clearly state they were over sized by 1 or 2.Was more like 4.They were cheap tho and i can still use them .No idea what brand they are.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

BWOfly.com has some really excellent hooks at great prices. Their tungsten bead prices and quality are hard to beat as well.

Tactical fly fisher also carries Riberfly hooks from Spain which are an incredible value for their quality.

Firehole outdoors excellent too.

Good luck!

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

I've tried several hook styles from Wholesale Fly Company and I'm also very happy. Recently ordered some beads too and they're nice. Great prices and free shipping. Their hooks have a lot of fans over on the Flymph Forum.

Tight Lines- Ken

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

I like their hooks a lot too, as well as their beads. I do find the occasional misformed eye, but for the cost, I'm not complaining!

I think if you were a much better angler than me and didn't lose flies constantly, it's possible you could notice some differences over the long haul in terms of retaining sharpness, but I've never had a problem with them.

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

Have used their hooks for some time now and have been pleased with them. Have been tying some traditional wet flies this week on their Model 8 size 14 beadhead nymph 2X long hooks.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I just checked out the website looks to me like they are using the same supplier as bwofly.com. Hooks look great, a real bargain.

John

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

I have been using their hooks and beads for a few years now. I tie flys for kids camps and other charitable fly fishing organizations. Maybe a couple of thousand a year (cold in Montana and I don't ice fish anymore). Using their hooks and beads have saved my quite a few dollars over the years. Highly recommeded

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”