Leonard 50-4 Maxwell era?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Marterius
Master Guide

Leonard 50-4 Maxwell era?

Post by Marterius »

An old friend passed away some time ago and I am helping the family with the appraisal of some items, which they want to sell for as good price as possible. Here, I should very much appreciate your help with a Leonard 50-4 of the Maxwell era; 8', two tops, all four parts of the same length and in very good shape as far as I can judge. My intention is to eventually look for similar rods in Lang’s database but I do not know if this his rod has some special features, such as non-standard reel seat? My friend ordered the rod directly from Tom Maxwell. I'll be happy answer further questions to the best of my knowledge. Any information or appraisals would be most welcome, thanks!

Regards,
Martin in Sweden

Random Casts
Master Guide

Re: Leonard 50-4 Maxwell era?

Post by Random Casts »

Lovely rod!

This would have been the 198th rod produced in ‘81. It appears to be a ‘standard’ model 50. The only unusual features that I can see are that it was made for a 4wt line. I can’t imagine many ‘50s were made in this line weight. Certainly Maxwell influenced.The hanging ring I think was added after market.

I’ve seen a number of Maxwell rods sell from $1500 to $2500 from dealers depending on their condition. The light trout sizes seem to bring more. The lower end of the scale would be private sellers, since there are no commissions involved.

Here’s a copy of a letter I received from Tom Maxwell dated January 05th and post marked January 06th.

Hope this helps,
Richard
Random Casts

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Condolences Martin!
That's a nice rod.

Wow, Tom Maxwell's handwriting is spectacular!

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I wonder if rods produced by the Leonard factory after Tom Maxwell left, see letter in previous post, can be considered ‘Maxwell Era’ rods or should they be termed Maxwell ‘influenced’. Certainly there is nothing wrong with the rods with the latter statement, they were still great rods. The term ‘era’ however, to me, connotes his presence during manufacture. Much like the much maligned brown wrapped ‘Simroe Era’ rods that Ted had little to no input on.

I see that badge of ‘Maxwell Era’ on rods that were produced right up until the closure almost four years after Tom left.

I know that Leonard produced rods in batches. They would cut and glue a bunch of butts, then mids and finally tips. It would be too time consuming and expensive to set up the cutter for each rod individually. Cosmetic special orders could be handled in the general run however I’m not sure how they handled custom taper orders in the big scheme of things. Maybe they would set up the cutter for a special order between standard runs. In a conversation with Bobby Taylor about the ‘early days’ pre Maxwell, he stated that at any one time there would be a bin of butts and a bin of tips for two piece rods and that they would pick and chose what went together best. Makes sense for a production shop.

In any case that is definitely Tom’s writing on your rod. Theoretically 198 rods after he left. It stands to reason that if it was part of a standard batch of rods that it would have been varnished, wrapped and hence lettered well ahead. I will check with Marc Aroner later in the week to ask him about the batching of rods and how far ahead that was taking place in the last few months of Tom’s tenure.

Richard
Random Casts

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

I respectfully disagree with the above statement that the rod was signed by Maxwell. The inking is similar in some respects, but lacks the masterful control of Tom Maxwell.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I'll have to agree with Peales here, that appears to be Virginia Luhr's handwriting. This era of rod is still superb and some of the best Leonards.

An earlier Maxwell signed rod:

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

After taking a closer look at the writing, although similar, I see there is a slant to the body of the script. That never would have happened with a Maxwell rod. I agree with both Peales and Short tip. Pictures of the script on the tips would have been the tell.

Still a great fishable rod and a four weight to boot!

Short Tip, as an aside, I used to own rod# 239 a model 40-6

Richard
Random Casts

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Thank you for all the great input, your knowledge is awesome. The previous owner told me that he communicated with Maxwell when he ordered the rod. If it was signed by someone else, does that mean that Maxwell was less involved in the building of the rod? Still, if I am correctly informed that Maxwell was at Leonard until 1982 I guess it is safe state this as a Maxwell era rod if the number indicate that it was built in 1981? Thanks again!
ibookje wrote:
01/06/22 09:51
Condolences Martin!
That's a nice rod.

Wow, Tom Maxwell's handwriting is spectacular!
Thank you, he was a fine man and I really like helping his family with a fair evaluation.

Regards,
Martin

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Martin, Tom points out in the opening lines of his note to Richard, who shared this letter with us, that he parted ways with Leonard December 2, 1980. He was not with Leonard when your rod was completed.

There was recently a Langs auction which featured a number of Maxwell and post Maxwell era Leonards. My limited recollection is that most sold between $1500 and $1900, but I may be a bit off.

Update - Martin if you PM me your email I will send you a link to the latest Lang’s auction, I was able to retrieve it. There were 10 “ Maxwell era “ Leonard’s auctioned and they sold for $ 1100 2300 1700 1900 1500 1200 1500 1800 1800 1800 . Not including buyers premium.

You are welcome to view the results and descriptions of the catalogue through the link I can send you. I apologize that my iPad skills are so lacking that I don’t know how to send the link here on my post.

Adrien

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

adrien schnee wrote:
01/07/22 09:52
Martin, Tom points out in the opening lines of his note to Richard, who shared this letter with us, that he parted ways with Leonard December 2, 1980. He was not with Leonard when your rod was completed.

There was recently a Langs auction which featured a number of Maxwell and post Maxwell era Leonards. My limited recollection is that most sold between $1500 and $1900, but I may be a bit off.

Update - Martin if you PM me your email I will send you a link to the latest Lang’s auction, I was able to retrieve it. There were 10 “ Maxwell era “ Leonard’s auctioned and they sold for $ 1100 2300 1700 1900 1500 1200 1500 1800 1800 1800 . Not including buyers premium.

You are welcome to view the results and descriptions of the catalogue through the link I can send you. I apologize that my iPad skills are so lacking that I don’t know how to send the link here on my post.

Adrien
Dear Adrian, thank you! My fault for not reading the letter properly. It is very kind of you, I will send you my a PM with my e-mail.

Regards,
Martin

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Hi Martin,

Here’s my conjecture:

Perhaps your belated friend spoke to Tom about this rod in the fall of 1980 or earlier. By the time it would have made its way through production, it was well into 1981. This would explain your friend’s comment about his conversation with Tom and the later serial number.

Regardless a model 50 in a four weight configuration from this time period, should be a spectacular rod!

I too have come across statements made by some individuals that Tom was around until 1982. I would like to know what those statements are based on. There must be some basis for these but I think the letter makes it abundantly clear what the facts are.

Richard
Random Casts

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

You’re more than welcome Martin. I will be glad to send you the auction link if you’d like to send an email address by PM.

I agree with Richard, that this 50-4 M would still carry the taper Tom developed and is almost certainly a wonderful casting rod, and quite a desirable model which isn’t so often seen. I hope the family of your friend is able to get a good price for it.

Best
Adrien

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Hi guys,

At some point in the next week, I’ll check with Marc Aroner to see if and when Tom Maxwell changed the pattern sticks for the tapers for Leonard rods. The question remains in my mind whether the tapers remained the same and only the aesthetics changed or whether everything changed.

My model 40-6 serial# 239 seemed to be a standard Leonard taper with only with modernized (Maxwell) cosmetics. My later 38DF Hunt seemed to me to be slightly heavier and stiffer than my mid ‘70s red wrap 38H.

If the pattern sticks had been changed, due to Tom’s input, then all the rods Maxwell and post, up until the ‘sale’ would be Maxwell ‘Influenced’ and would be great rods regardless of cosmetics or ownership.

I doubt if Tom had a direct hand in the production of any one rod, aside from doing the lettering, while he was there. Those that have his definitive lettering should and do bring a premium. Those after are still great rods and deserve our attention.

Just my observations,
Richard

Richard
Random Casts

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Random Casts wrote:
01/07/22 18:39
Hi Martin,

Here’s my conjecture:

Perhaps your belated friend spoke to Tom about this rod in the fall of 1980 or earlier. By the time it would have made its way through production, it was well into 1981. This would explain your friend’s comment about his conversation with Tom and the later serial number.

Regardless a model 50 in a four weight configuration from this time period, should be a spectacular rod!

I too have come across statements made by some individuals that Tom was around until 1982. I would like to know what those statements are based on. There must be some basis for these but I think the letter makes it abundantly clear what the facts are.

Richard
Hi Richard,
I agree, that is my view of the events in 1980 as well.

Regards,
Martin

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”