A Few of a Kind--Next Best Rods--Granger Premiers

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

A Few of a Kind--Next Best Rods--Granger Premiers

Post by Flyman615 »

Since there recently seems to be some interest in Granger Premier grade rods, I thought I'd post a few from my collection. These, however, are all post-1930 rods and do not include any First Era Premiers which may be the subject of a later thread.

As you may know, the Premier grade--like most of these--eventually became the second highest grade in the Granger lineup to the Registered which was introduced in 1939. In comparison to lower grades, however, not many Premiers were made. It is estimated that by the Wright & McGill era they still made up only 2% or less of production.

Premiers, like Registered Grangers were made from only the highest grade, cleanest cane and cork. But unlike the Registereds, the Premiers were very plainly wrapped without tipping or signature wraps in standard Granger yellow/gold. According to Michael Sinclair this was done in order to save weight as many Premiers were used in casting competitions.

My current collection from top down:

* 7'6" 7633 by Wright & McGill
* 8'0" 8040 by Goodwin Granger
* 8'6" 8642 by Goodwin Granger
* 9'0" 9050 by Wright & McGill (ink stamps are reversed)
* 9'0" 9052 Tournament by Goodwin Granger (note s/b reel seat and 'hammer handle' grip to save weight)
* 9'0' 9050 by Goodwin Granger (presentation rod)
* 9'6" 9660 by Goodwin Granger
* 6'0" 6050 by Wright & McGill (bait casting rod)

And yes, once upon a time I had a super scarce Goodwin Granger Premier 10-foot 1062, but another Forum member wanted it even more than I did.

Hope you enjoy these Granger Premiers!

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 01/08/22 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A Few of a Kind--Next Best Rods--Granger Premiers

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Admired are both your determination and acquisition skills.

Simply breathtaking. I can only imagine the joy of selecting which one for the upcoming days casting...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Thanks for taking the time to post about these! Jeff

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Very handsome company of rods and thanks for sharing. Love that 9052.

Jim

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Yes, very drool worthy…
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I've got an 8040--not a Premier--that has a slimmer handle profile like yours in the photo. Do you feel that it was typical for the smaller sizes, ie 7633 and 8040, to be made with slimmer handles, or is it more likely that my 8040 and yours pictured above had their profiles changed later on in life? Thanks! Jeff
Last edited by archer829 on 01/06/22 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks much, fellows.

Here's a photo of the aforementioned early 10 ft. Goodwin Granger Premier with the characteristic "fat" cigar grip found on some 10-footers.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

archer829 wrote:
01/06/22 15:15
I've got an 8040--not a Premier--that has a slimmer handle profile like yours in the photo. Do feel that it was typical for the smaller sizes, ie 7633 and 8040, to be made with slimmer handles, or is it more likely that my 8040 and yours pictured above had their profiles changed later on in life? Thanks! Jeff
Good question, Jeff! In the case of my 8040 Premier, I happen to know its history.

It was owned and fished by the wife of a Kansas banker on Colorado's Front Range streams. His rod was a 9050 Granger Registered. In the case of both rods, they were somewhat "customized" by the Granger shop in Denver and I'm glad to say I've had both for many years.

Both rods also exhibit additional bands of silk on the butt sections in order to easily measure fish landed, and are signed in ink rather than all stamped.

In the case of her 8040, I believe the "slim" grip was made for the lady's hand at her request.

Thanks for asking!

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 01/07/22 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

A Granger collecting life well-spent, Scott! Thanks for sharing!

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Beautiful rods Scott. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Best, Chris

finecane
Sport

Post by finecane »

ALWAYS nice to see such a pristine collection of Grangers like that. Thanks for sharing Scott.
Do any of your Premier's have chromed hardware (besides the line guides and tip tops), or are the reel seats and ferrules all nickel silver?

https://www.finecane.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

finecane wrote:
01/07/22 10:25
ALWAYS nice to see such a pristine collection of Grangers like that. Thanks for sharing Scott.
Do any of your Premier's have chromed hardware (besides the line guides and tip tops), or are the reel seats and ferrules all nickel silver?
Thanks much for your kind comment.

All of the Granger Premiers in my current collection have nickel silver hardware/fittings even though some are likely circa early WWII. For example, the 9052 Tournament has a labeled plastic tube.

Scott
Flyman615

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Amazing collection Scott! Reminds me of Mike Clark’s Granger Registered set that was just jaw dropping when admired in person. While not consistent with the OP, this makes me wonder if some of us collect sets of similar grades… thanks for sharing… love the BC Rod.

Cheers
Arthur

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

ARTHURK wrote:
01/07/22 18:05
Amazing collection Scott! Reminds me of Mike Clark’s Granger Registered set that was just jaw dropping when admired in person. While not consistent with the OP, this makes me wonder if some of us collect sets of similar grades… thanks for sharing… love the BC Rod.

Cheers
Arthur
hi, that caster is fantastic. i wonder if the retaining mechanism was patented.
as always, jim

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
01/07/22 18:55
ARTHURK wrote:
01/07/22 18:05

Cheers
Arthur
hi, that caster is fantastic. i wonder if the retaining mechanism was patented.
as always, jim
Thanks, fellas! But my little grouping probably doesn't hold a candle to Mike C.'s Registered assemblage!

Jim: The screw locking reel seat/handle on the Premier bait casting rod is marked "Patent Pending" and circa 1950, I believe. I don't know if Wright and McGill ever received said patent, however.

BTW, as with many casting rods, the bamboo sections are staggered--i.e. different lengths.

Scott
Flyman615

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Granger Premier.pdf

My W&M Granger Premier 8642 was acquired at a garage sale in a small town in southwestern New Mexico. Scott Whitman did a beautiful job putting new varnish on the rod and some grip repair.

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Well, my photo attempt didn't work. I'll have to do some site research.

royalwulff
Guide

Post by royalwulff »

I don't mean to hijack Scott's beautiful Premier presentation. I only add this as Scott mentions my bad habit of 32 years (Registered's) . Scott and I are kindred spirits when it comes to these Grades. Scott's Premiers are every bit as special and rare as the Registered's. So here's a little more eye candy ~ 14 Registered's (the 1 on the far right is not mine but was in here for straightening and I thought it would look good on the Rack!)
Mike

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hi Mike: No matter how many times I’m able to gaze upon your matchless collection of Registereds, I go away breathless!

Your Granger friend,
Scott Z.
Flyman615

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Nice rack Mike. Bet you have heard that.

Just stupendous. Can't break my stare.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”