Wading boots

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

JHolton
Sport

Wading boots

Post by JHolton »

After far too many years and sore feet I bought a new pair of wading boots last fall. I debated hard on spending that many $$ on a pair of boots (yeah, I'm real cheap when its for myself) and whether rubber soles could possibly match the grip of felt on the slick rocks here in Colorado. However, after swallowing hard I bought a pair of Orvis Pros, with a rubber sole by Michelin.
One trip was all it took to make me smile. They are so much stickier than felt that it is amazing. Also great support and so comfortable. Happy camper here.

Recurve1
Sport

Re: Wading boots

Post by Recurve1 »

Glad to hear this - I just got a pair for myself after the sole of my Simms G3 came off 3/4 of a mile from the car. All 3 fly shops I spoke with had the highest regard for the Orvis pro boot with many of their staff and guides using it. Will see how long these last. They feel very lightweight and supportive - like a hiking boot.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Ugh. I was having trouble staying on my feet with my G3's Vibram soles on northern WI freestoners, so I doubled down and bought a pair of G3 felts a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll lock this in the memory bank.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

The Simms vibram soles for me are too slippery. Interesting to hear about the Orvis soles. I may have to give them a try.

Jake

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Hope to hear more on this sticky sole, my experience has led me back to felt.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Both Simms mad Patagonia rubber soles were way too slippery for me (remember Mark?).
Unless full with studs (at least 10 per shoe and not just 6 as the first fly shop advised me) it’s a no go for me.

I too prefer felt over rubber (even with studs) any time

Recurve1
Sport

Post by Recurve1 »

Felts are great in the water but in my experience don't perform well out of water - muddy banks, snow build up, etc Hope the orvis tread works well in both environments.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Nothing beats felt in slippery freestone streams. I've tried the "sticky rubber" boots, not even close. My concern is bite in the stream, not out.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Thanks for the recommendation / review. I have been happy with all the Simms boots I have purchased with the exception of one pair with the BOA system. I did not like it, not a good fit for me plus the cable broke too soon. My friend loves his Orvis and they look good, but he has the BOA model.

Hopefully I am not in the market for boots for a while, but will check Orvis.

I have not used felt for many years, but rely on a wading staff when the Vibrant soles fall short...

Tight Lines

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

I'm a fan of the Orvis PRO with Michelin soles. They are stickier for me than all other rubber soles, including Vibram. When it comes to felts, I love the Chotas, which have much more durable and are stickier than the various felts I've used over the years. I think the felt is made from a synthetic like polypropylene, and they dry off faster.

tl
les

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

AlexP wrote:
01/07/22 10:43
Thanks for the recommendation / review. I have been happy with all the Simms boots I have purchased with the exception of one pair with the BOA system. I did not like it, not a good fit for me plus the cable broke too soon. My friend loves his Orvis and they look good, but he has the BOA model.

Hopefully I am not in the market for boots for a while, but will check Orvis.

I have not used felt for many years, but rely on a wading staff when the Vibrant soles fall short...

Tight Lines
Hi Alex, agree on the BOA system. Regarding the G3's Vibram soles, I've found they work well on the limestone cobble we have in the Driftless, but are next to worthless on the glacial freestoners up north -- though they are good for hiking in and out. I have both aluminum and carbide cleats on mine and it doesn't help up there. Hoping the felts on the new G3's are as good as previous (studded) felts I've owned, those were pretty dependable both on the northern streams and out west.

I've heard great things about the Chotas -- their felt supposedly sticks like no other.

Recurve1
Sport

Post by Recurve1 »

cappy wrote:
01/07/22 10:23
Nothing beats felt in slippery freestone streams. I've tried the "sticky rubber" boots, not even close. My concern is bite in the stream, not out.
Did you think the Orvis pro boots were worse than felt?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I have two pairs of Simms Freestone boots with Vibram soles fitted a combination of Simms carbide studs and carbide star cleats. I've used them on varied substrates ranging from large cobbles to smooth slate and like them far more than felt. I've been using them since 2013 and like them enough to have a third new pair sitting in reserve.

JHolton
Sport

Post by JHolton »

For me the Orvis Michelin rubber is far better in freestone streams than felt. My wife has Simms Vibram soles, but thinks that the Orvis rubber is probably stickier in the water.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Recurve1 wrote:
01/07/22 18:42
cappy wrote:
01/07/22 10:23
Did you think the Orvis pro boots were worse than felt?
I personally have not used them. I don't purchase rubber soles anymore, felt only. I have a fishing buddy who has the Orvis boots, while he says they are by far the best rubber soles he has owned, and he is happy with them, he will tell you they are not superior to felt in tricky slick rocky streams.
Anatole France

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Yes Sir Cappy I agree with you 100% bought Orvis wading boots rubber soles supposed to have superior traction first rubber sole wading boots I’ve every used, it only took one outing to convince me that no way is rubber better than felt, I proceeded to install 2 layers of indoor/outdoor carpet as we used to do years ago, very good traction now, as far as boot fit and boot integrety, excellant the sides are rigid, you don’t have to worry about having your foot jammed between 2 rocks and killing your toes.

Kai Larson
Sport

Post by Kai Larson »

Try one of the wading boots with aluminum bars riveted to the soles.

My guess is that you will never go back to any other sole type.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

lestrout1 wrote:
01/07/22 14:21
I'm a fan of the Orvis PRO with Michelin soles. They are stickier for me than all other rubber soles, including Vibram. When it comes to felts, I love the Chotas, which have much more durable and are stickier than the various felts I've used over the years. I think the felt is made from a synthetic like polypropylene, and they dry off faster.

tl
les
+1 on the Chotas. Felts with studs is the apex of good fishing traction. They don't seem like popular boots; I never see anyone besides me wearing them.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

billems wrote:
01/08/22 14:53
lestrout1 wrote:
01/07/22 14:21

tl
les
+1 on the Chotas. Felts with studs is the apex of good fishing traction. They don't seem like popular boots; I never see anyone besides me wearing them.
Chotas are all I use. My last purchase was three pair when I found them at a could not pass up price. Still have two pair in boxes.

With regards to studs I didn't like the feel on large rocks. Straight felt for me.
Anatole France

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Felt has been banned in Maryland and at least 6 other states.

No felt soles are allowed in Yellowstone Park.

As I am on the brink of turning 80, I confine my wading to spring creeks. All I need are a pair of cheap, high-top sneakers from Walmart. I prefer the Velcro ones.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”