Hello from Alaska:`

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

ardster

Hello from Alaska:`

Post by ardster »

My name is Ard Stetts and I honestly forget if I ever registered before but must not have, I'd suspect the software might have recognized a second account from the same device and it did not. If any of you fellows visit other internet fishing forums you may have come across me as Ard or Hardyreels on just a couple other boards. I've seen many a post referencing this group as a source for information and just today another fellow suggested I visit here because we were talking reels.

I'll come right out with it ........ I joined this group because I am looking for a specific Hardy reel. Now because many of you here are collectors I figure you've heard this before but, I'm looken (yeah I know I spelled that wrong) I'm looken for a 3 1/8 Perfect in LHW but not just any 3 1/8 Perfect. I want one in great condition because all my reels are in good condition, even those I've owned and used for many years. Does all this sound familiar? New guy wants his cake and wants to eat it too, sorry but that's what my first post is about.

I would take a nice 3 3/8 because I have one already, the problem is that even at my age I never warmed to the business of transferring my rod to my left hand while reeling in a fish. My Perfect reel is a RHW circa 1997 with the rusty brown agate line guard insert. I am on the verge of just buying a new narrow spool 3 1/8 reel and calling things good but my friend suggested asking here before I took the new route. I like the late 90's models but finding a Lefty is near impossible, to wit: my right hand model.

So there you have it, new guy looking for favors but maybe I'll stick around and post a little also.

Ard
I'm Ard Stetts from Alaska. You may also find me at The North American Fly Fishing Forum. I'm just a guy who fishes and joined this forum because I could.

Ard

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: Hello from Alaska:`

Post by sodbank »

Welcome to the forum ardster . Good luck with your search!

Doug

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Welcome, Ard, and I wish you luck in your search!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Jealousy... as a guy who fishes everyday - I sure would like to do it where you are
on the daily, and have laid some plans to make that happen.
Future plans than involve locals of the Naknek area.
Hopefully fishing everyday there 2024.

Welcome to you Ard!
Now let's get you help on that Hardy situation you have.
Cheers, Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

ardster

Post by ardster »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

Yes I'd like to score the reel but will cruise around the threads to take in some of the knowledge here as well.

Brian, this will be my 19th season here and I don't have a lot of use for light rods and little vintage Perfects but I still have the rods and reels from my previous life in the lower 48 and try to get a little grayling time in each year. I use the 3 3/8 with an Orvis Limestone graphite currently, the rod is the circa 1978 so fits as a classic. I also have my Far & Fine which has had more use than anything else I own. Not much up here but I got it in 79 and it became almost exclusive to me. If I can find the 3 1/8 perfect I have an old 7'9" Winston LT six piece 4 weight waiting for it :) Still have all my old cane rods from the past too, I'll be 68 next time I get a cake and have been doing this for a while. Like most of you guys I have my first rod and the last one purchased too.

Ard
I'm Ard Stetts from Alaska. You may also find me at The North American Fly Fishing Forum. I'm just a guy who fishes and joined this forum because I could.

Ard

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Ard - I can already hear the scream this St. John is going to make... maybe at Brooks or Margot Creek.
The Indavain holds grayling and I have heard tale of some huge fish on big bushy dries.
Gearing up is the fun part. Silvers Pinks Kings Sockeye.
A re-issued Taupo will get a lot of use as well.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Unknownflyman

Post by Unknownflyman »

Hi Ard,

glad you made it, good forum here.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Hi Ard,
Welcome aboard! Glad to see you here.....remember me from Hotrodz of Burien?

Return to “Members Corner”