Northern Lower Michigan ( Ausable) Fly Tyer

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

ES Cliff

Northern Lower Michigan ( Ausable) Fly Tyer

Post by ES Cliff »

Greetings- I'm looking for local fly tyers in the Northern Lower of Michigan that I could buy some of there flies as examples and for use. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks- Cliff

spundun
Sport

Re: Northern Lower Michigan ( Ausable) Fly Tyer

Post by spundun »

Cliff,
Check in at Gates Lodge at Stephan Bridge on the mainstream. They can answer any question you might have regarding flies as we tie them for this water and ALL wild fish.
Spundun

partsman

Post by partsman »

Gates lodge is a great suggestion, also check out Tim Neals videos. He does a lot of the old Ausable flies, and he owns best value flytying.
Mike.

ES Cliff

Post by ES Cliff »

Thanks for the tips. Anyone aware of any local tyers that sell directly?

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

As recommended I would speak to the folks at Gates'. Explain to them what you are up to and I think they can accomodate you. Local tiers of note:

Jerry Regan
Dennis Potter
Bear Andrews

Jump in an add to the list folks,

Carl

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

If you want to know more about the hatches of Michigan and the upper Midwest and an excellent source is the book by Ann Miller called "Hatch Guide For Upper Midwest Streams".

Happy fishing.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

carl otto wrote:
01/14/22 17:30
As recommended I would speak to the folks at Gates'. Explain to them what you are up to and I think they can accomodate you. Local tiers of note:

Jerry Regan
Dennis Potter
Bear Andrews

Jump in an add to the list folks,

Carl
Let us not forget Sam Surre, who supplies most of the flies to the local fly shops in the Ausable River system, and has been a guide on these rivers for a good many years.

Jerry Regan is a good friend of mine and one heck of a tier too.

Sam lives in Frederic and Jerry has a home in Grayling.

Mark

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”