Line weight recommendation

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

jemmick

Line weight recommendation

Post by jemmick »

I'm fortunate in the fact that I have been blessed by my Granddad ,with the gift of his split bamboo fly rod, a sport king model 16. I received it 40-45 years ago. I had it reconditioned maybe 20 or25 yrs ago. It seems to be in great shape. I'm contemplating using it for natives and stocked trout.( no intentions of using it for steelhead). It has no markings on it to let me know what line wt. To use. It measures 8'3" . any suggestions???

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Line weight recommendation

Post by Canewrap »

Without seeing the rod, it's not easy to know. But, using your feel for what makes a rod load, start with a 5 wt and cast about 30 feet. If it feels under loaded go up to a 6 and overloaded go to a 4. If you don't have access to many lines, you might try taking it down to a flyshop and see if they'll let you try some of their lines. If I needed to go that route, I would walk in and buy some tippet or a leader and then bring up what you would like to do and see if they could let you use their lines to figure it out. Just my opinion.

jemmick

Post by jemmick »

Sounds like a plan Thanks

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I agree with Canewrap, I’d start with a 5 wt. At 8’3”, your rod most likely started out as a 8’6” rod.....is one section short like the tip? Fish it and make Granddad happy!

jemmick

Post by jemmick »

Yes it has two tips ,however 1 is broken. So it would make sense to process as described..Thanks

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”