Paypal Phishing???

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Paypal Phishing???

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I just received an email from Paypal. I don't plan on supplying any additional information, but showed the post to my wife. She looked at the address and said it was phishing and someone just trying to get my information.

With changes in tax laws many of us are expecting questions from paypal. So I'm not sure if was phishing or not, but be careful.

Barry

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Paypal Phishing???

Post by quashnet »

Happens to me all the time. Yes, the key is to do as your wife did, and look at the email address. PayPal language and graphics may be used in the body of the email, but if the address doesn't include paypal DOT com then it's a scam. Same is true for other phishing emails. Often the message will be something like "your account at ______ has been closed. To renew your account, click on __________" This is always a scam.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

LakesideAl
Sport

Post by LakesideAl »

Thanks for the reminder...
Happens to all of us. I don't open the emails, never mind the links inside the emails.
I figure that if Paypal (or whoever) needs more info, they'll let me know the next time I log in to their official website.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Slightly off-topic: Every so often I get an email that was sent as a text message from someone's phone. So there's just a phone number where a sender's name usually is. And the body of the text is included as an attachment, and these senders never seem to at least put their name somewhere viewable. No way I'm opening attachments that are sent like that! I guess its a convenient way for those folks to communicate; too bad their "communication" never sees the light of my day!
Yours from the time of the dinosaurs,
Gary

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I get "PayPal" emails all the time -- the tipoff it's phishing is that our account is tied to my wife's email.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

I forward those emails to spoof@paypal.com. It is Paypal’s way of getting rid of those. Not the most effective but, it’s something. There’s a link on Paypal’s website for this.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

It is amazing how many accounts are being temporarily closed do to suspicious activity. All I need to do is click this link to reset my information. Thing is they are on accounts and banks that I don't have anything to do with. I also get periodic paypal spoofs and highlighting the address will show them to be scams. Those of us who don't get stung by this think no one would fall for it but millions are lost by people every year by getting hooked on these scams and all too many are older folks like me and others. My wife's Dad in his last years fell for a couple of them and lost a good chunk of money because he wouldn't come to us with this "contest" he'd won but wanted to surprise us.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”