Line weight furler leader fix?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

GetnThere
Guide

Line weight furler leader fix?

Post by GetnThere »

Hello
I have a noname 8.5 bb that likes WF7 line. I've only lawn cast it but it will slap the water. So would adding a furler leader help dissipate the energy and deliver a softer presentation? This rod seems best suited for wets n streamers.

lestrout1
Guide

Re: Line weight furler leader fix?

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Get- the stiffness/diameter of the leader butt does a lot to change the way the line tip comes down. This is true with mono/fluoro, furled, braided and twisted leaders. Also the length of the leader butt section does a lot to/for the presentation.

tl
les

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

Are you pushing the cast? When I do that I get line slap. So I open the loop a bit and that works for me.Have you tried a different line?

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Hey les,
I was casting without a leader in the yard guess that's why, lol. Learn something new all the time, especially when my fly fishing knowledge is limited. The 6wt line cast much better and had a leader so that explains that. Tomorrow I'll add a leader and report back.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Adding the leader did help soften the delivery and the front taper is shorter than the other line I was casting.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Just started reading about furler leaders. Would it be correct that if I have a fly line with a short head I could just make a furler leader to lengthen it. Thus I could use the short head line for both wets streamers and drys simply by changing the furler leaders?

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

If I cast my 1wt without a leader, the line tip would slap. Choosing/designing the right leader for the line and situation is crucial.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

Yo Get - re your question about adjusting leaders to make up for a short head fly line: whether, furled, braided, twisted or mono, I just lengthen the leader butt. I pay attention to the thickness/stiffness of the butt to make the energy transmission from the fly line tip smooth.

tl
les

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”