Goodwin Granger Grade?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Goodwin Granger Grade?

Post by OldCane »

I picked up a 9'0" GG rod that's has been stripped of all wraps. The screw reel seat has two pat date plus:

" Made By"
"Goodwin Granger Company"
" Denver"

Without any grade marked on the reel seat, and no ink stamp remaining on the bamboo, I'm trying to figure out the grade of the rod. The rod is NOT blond and so is not a Denver or Colorado Special. The rod is a late era rod due to screw seat with both Pat dates.

I'm confused by the traces of mid wrap left in the little varnish on the rod. It appears to be:

I I I I I I I I I I

or in words: one - eight - one

Also, the mid section appears to have had 5 guides and a mid wrap.

The signature wrap doesn't seem to match up with any grade found in either Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook" or his "Goodwin Granger - The Rod from Denver" book. My best guess is a "Special" or maybe an outside chance it is a "Victory".

Any other guesses?
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”