C.F. Murphy fly rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Smallm30

C.F. Murphy fly rod

Post by Smallm30 »

I have a C.F. Murphy fly rod. From what I have researched it seems to be a collectable piece. I would like to see it end up going to a collector. Any information or interest would be greatly appreciated. It seems to have 3 or 4 tips I have a couple pics, but not all i really dont like taking it in and out of the case.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: C.F. Murphy fly rod

Post by jeffkn1 »

This may be better discussed under Appraisals, but when it comes to putting a value on something you're going to need those photos you haven't taken yet. Yes, the tips are fine and delicate, but potential buyers want to to see all the sections out of the bag and lined up next to each other.
Murphy's output can only be estimated and is thought to be well under 1000 rods over his lifetime. His rod making year?s ran from about 1860 to no later than 1887. Yes, they're collectibles. Potentially it's a $1500-3000 rod, depending on the condition and completeness. Do the tips have their spigots ('spikes')? Do any of the sections have sets? Is it a six-strip or four strip? Missing guides or thread wraps? Are there open seams or damaged cane?

Smallm30

Post by Smallm30 »

Six strip if I'm counting right. No missing guides,except one tip spike . Not sure what a "set" means? Some threading on the first two sections is coming undone. Here are more pics.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

A set is curvature of a rod section, caused by damp storage, years of usage, constant stress on the rod sections, etc. There are no obvious sets on this one but long, early fine tip sections are prone to mild sets. The missing thread and guides are not a major detraction, being remedied at modest cost. The major detraction is the short tips. That's also common with those fine-tipped bamboo rods. Despite being common, the collectors will leverage that against the sale to some degree.
Another Murphy, a rare and fine one, was discussed in this thread, including a couple of auction values:

viewtopic.php?t=135021&hilit=page+murphy

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I own a handwritten letter by Charles F. Orvis in 1908 that discusses his relationship with Murphy. Here is a link to that thread which you might find of interest…

“ These rods bring to my
mind many men long dead
that I knew and many
pleasant memories - and
so[me] that perhaps are not so
awful pleasant.
I knew Murphy the maker
of these rods. He was a good
hearted fellow but "crooked
his elbow." quite too much.
he was a good mechanic
he was the first man that made
split bamboos for the trade but
made only a few he only made what
(up the side)
he could make - himself would not have help.”

viewtopic.php?p=858647#p858647
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Rare enough with three broken tips and needing some TLC to be worth a bit.

What's the story behind this rod, how or where did you acquire it?

Smallm30

Post by Smallm30 »

I acquired it from my grandfather after he passed. I dont know the history of it.

Mjdownes67

Post by Mjdownes67 »

Hi,

I am a direct descendant of Charles Murphy (My Paternal great grandmother's uncle) I also build rods with my Dad (LJ Downes Rod company) Boy would I like to get my hands on one of his rods to have in the family. Any chance we could make that happen?

Matt

Smallm30

Post by Smallm30 »

Hello Matt, I messaged you

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”