Smokie Caddis?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Smokie Caddis?

Post by Hellmtflies »

"OK" What is, or should I say can you tell me what the original pattern is for the "Smokie Caddis" that is used in the southeast. I am going to Shenandoah N.P. and the GSNP in the near future to fish and this pattern keeps coming up in my search of the areas streams but I cannot find a definitive fly pattern for same. What can you folks tell me? Help! :) Photos please!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Smokie Caddis?

Post by snorider »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx Snorider. That's what I had but wasn't sure that I was on to the correct pattern. I think also that this spent pattern here would be excellent for the Mother's Day Caddis tied in an olive body with brownish wings.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Mark,

Most of my Trout fishing is in the South and I've not heard of that one. Looks really buggy and effective though. If you want a good stream report that can be applied to most of the streams in North Carolina, go to the Davidson River Outfitters site and click on the "Stream Report" link at the top of the page.

https://www.davidsonflyfishing.com/

If you get to the Smokies, call the Fontana Marina and see if they can ferry you across the lake to Eagle Creek. That creek is my favorite place on earth in the spring. This time of year you'll be the only person there fishing....probably.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have a book entitled "Hatches & Fly Patterns of the Great Smoky Mountains" by Don Kirk. Never fished the Smokies and have never read the book. It does not list a Smokie Caddis or a Smoky Caddis min it's index.

If you want to check what you have, try Murray's Fly Shop in southern Virginia. I believe Harry is still around.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Caneghost wrote:
01/21/22 13:39
I have a book entitled "Hatches & Fly Patterns of the Great Smoky Mountains" by Don Kirk. Never fished the Smokies and have never read the book. It does not list a Smokie Caddis or a Smoky Caddis min it's index.

If you want to check what you have, try Murray's Fly Shop in southern Virginia. I believe Harry is still around.
Thank you CaneGhost,
I have the following books on that area and none of them mention this caddis pattern. (?) :-\

1) "Fly-fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains" 1996 by kirk
2) "Smoky Mountains Trout Fishing Guide" 1985 by Kirk
3) "The Ultimate Fly-fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains" 2011 by Kirk & Ward
4) "Virginia Trout Streams" 1991 by Slone
5) "Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park" 1989 by Murray
6) "Trout Fishing the Southern Appalachians" 1979 by Fears

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I might as well chime in here since I have fished in the GSMNP for more than sixty years. And spent many summers in and out of other streams and tailwaters in the neighborhood.

I have never seen a black caddis spinner fall of any consequence in the GSMNP. Occasionally a small black caddis is observed stream side but I would not consider it a staple or necessity pattern. On area tailwaters it is a very common hatch, and far more likely a trout attracting hatch.

The Park streams are just not selective trout water in the sense of matching the hatch on the Ranch or Bozeman/Livingston area spring creeks which I have fished a long time as well. It is merely a casting presentation game in the park and a small black adams type pattern or large black midge would cover about any black caddis issue in the park. Terrestrials are about always around Park streams and small black ants or beetles can catch fish anytime that a trout is remotely looking up.

If you come from the Knoxville/or TN side of the GSMNP the Little River Outfitters Fly Shop in Walland is about as fine a fly shop as there is in the territory (or anywhere) and has very knowledgable daily stream reports by Byron Begley, one of the owners , on its web page . (littleriveroutfitters.com). PM me of you want any more info. J,
Last edited by Bee on 01/22/22 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

For what it worth, there is a period in late spring when a green bodied Elkhair caddis is IT. Sizes 14 & 16.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx Guys!

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I really like that pattern in the first video.

There have been times, right after a mayfly spinner fall just when it is getting dark, that there are clouds of small black Caddis skittering above the surface of a pool. The trout rise forms suggest that they are taking spinners, you know the easy quiet slow sipping form. I assumed that they were still onto the mayfly spinners but my imitations were constantly being ignored. Out of desperation, I even tried a size sixteen black ant. That was moderately successful but tying it on in failing light and worse yet trying to see it on the water was a disaster.

This pattern tied with an indicator might just be the ticket. Tie it on right when your mayfly spinners are being ignored and the clouds of black Caddis make an appearance.Thank you snorider.

Another pattern to add to the arsenal.

Richard
Random Casts

niveker

Post by niveker »

I've never been lucky enough to fish that beautiful country, so I have no first hand knowledge, but in Volume 1 of Hellekson's 'Fish Flies' he lists 3 versions of a 'Smoky Caddis' on pages 324-5:

Smoky Caddis

(Apatania incerta)

Approximate Emergence Dates: April and May

Emerging Pupa

Hooks: TMC 3761 of DAI 1560, sizes 12 - 16
Thread: Black
Body: Dubbed with a 50/50 blend of #13 gray and #24 brown lamb's wool
Budding Wings: Dyed gray barred mallard barbs tied along each side of the body
Antennae: Dyed gray barred mallard barbs tied split over the body
Legs: Dark blue dun hen hackle barns tied divided beard style
Head: Dubbed with #26 dark brown Bunnytron

Adult