The Flyfisher & The Trout's Point of View

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

The Flyfisher & The Trout's Point of View

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I try to make a point of re-reading every January the wonderful book by Col. E. W. Harding called "The Flyfisher & The Trout's Point of View". The book was written almost one hundred years ago and has so many thought-provoking insights into our wonderful sport. Harding even discusses his correspondence with Skues about the Hatching Nymph (pg 71) and the nymphal shuck. Along with the Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear as a pattern to imitate the illusion of a nymph transitioning into a dun. He also looks at light patterns made by insects and various fly patterns, if you haven't read the book, you should.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Flyfisher & The Trout's Point of View

Post by creakycane »

I share your interest in Harding's book. I like the references to Skues in the text, and need to reread it. I recall the chapter on the literature of fly fishing is well done. It certainly does not generally read like a book from the 30s.
In my mind, it shares some elements on JC Mottram's Fly-fishing: Some new arts and mysteries. I think the revised version is 100 years old, but like Harding, still very relevant. I like Mottram's bits on rise forms and bulgers, as well as fly design.
Last edited by creakycane on 03/18/22 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Flyfisher & The Trout's Point of View

Post by billems »

I never read it, but I remember Vince Marinaro mentioning it in his "In the Ring of the Rise."

Return to “Book Talk”