New to me Early Edward Vom Hofe

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

New to me Early Edward Vom Hofe

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

I was able to acquire this rod in trade over the holidays from a fellow forum member in trade. It is a very early Edw. Vom Hofe made rod, unfortunately all sections are not the exact same length. Original length would have been 10.5'. I found 2 other early Vom Hofe's of similar construction with pics on-line, 1 a six strip and another a 7 strip. You can also see this rod depicted in the 1889 & 1896 catalogs. The 2 oddites for me are the sliding band with does not have the standard double knurled section, but has the exact same incised pattern as the other two rods and other Vom Hofes in my collection(big rods). The second difference is the lack of welts on the female ferrules which could be original or could have just come off over time (I have a 7 strip bay rod with a loose welt). I took a magnifying glass to the sliding band to verify it wasn't modified.

I am still looking for a late 1870's or early 1880's catalog to see if the sliding band and female ferrules were made at that time like my rod, so if you come across one and see the rod depicted like this please let me know.

Previously known as bamboocollector11

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New to me Early Edward Vom Hofe

Post by Booman2 »

Out of my depth here, but gmflyfish and I donated a 7 strip Vom Hofe to the American Museum of Fly Fishing a few years ago. It was in excellent condition, and possibly the museum could help.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Thanks!

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I would think if the welts were missing, there would be evidence of their existence and I see none. Also spiked ferrules so maybe no need for welts? I'd bet original weltless .
Last edited by steeliefool on 01/17/22 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Looks to me like it was weltless and spiked ferrules have no influence on welted ferrules and definitely do not obviate the need for welts!! That is deep speculation at best !! Not fact for sure!!

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Did I get "trolled" by a gnome?? A "persona non gratius"?
It's the END TIMES for sure😊

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Nope not trolling which Sfool knows all about after trolling me for more than a decade against the forum rules. Just calling out pure speculative BS!! rods with spikes and welts are seen all of the time and spikes have little or 0 bearing on welts.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

So I'm seeing an earlier rod here with Calcutta. The spiked male ferrules are different from my later EVH, but the females look to be identical with the exception of the welts. My guess would be the welts are missing.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Bill you said it, it is an early rod and thus weltless have seen at least three EVH that were weltless females, and all were early rods.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

At the risk of sounding like a blasphemer to all the 19th century rod guys, I'm beginning to think there are more rods out there with Chubb ferrules than we've been assuming. So, I'll throw in the possibility of makers like EVH simply stocking unwelted female ferrules and soldering on welts as necessary. The plain sliding band is the same style seen on early Leonards, Wheelers, and countless other makers. To me, those plain sliding bands are all from the same place: Post Mills. If that were true, they couldn't be dated any earlier than Chubb's installation of machinery in the in the first expanded factory after 1869. Exactly when he did that I don't know.
Ed, is that hole in the butt cap threaded? I don't recall hearing that discussed.
Jeff, what similarities did those other EVH's have to this example? Any?

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

So the hole in the end cap is courtesy if a previous owner some long time ago. No idea why except that something rattles within the grip/reel seat and maybe this " challenged" individual thought this was a way to get to it. I tried to take the butt cap off, but no luck with any easy regular way and I am concerned with damaging the rod to try any risky ways. We do know EVH made ferrules without the welt and sold them- see 1889 catalog along with Jeff H. seeing 3 others.

My current guess is the rod is early 1880's or late 1870's. All the hardware is soldered and seamed. I am currently looking at a William Mitchell and a Malleson marked Thos. J. Conroy rod - pic below without a welt on the ferrules.

Dustnstuff
Guide

Post by Dustnstuff »

If you search" Shipley" and scroll down to 4/2/21 you can view the EVH rod in my collection
Not as early as the rod in question, but it may help in answering a few questions.
Dustnstuff

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

JeffK Basically the same will dig out the photos to confirm that. And your thoughts about small makers using Chubb components and then altering them to their specs was definitely happening by the time of the KOSMICS I have the ferrule dies and the ferrules that show that connection without a doubt. Could EVH have been doing the same?? Probably or most likely in my book. Nice old Rod Ed!! and your dating of it I do believe is dead on.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”