.260 Perfectionist taper

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

.260 Perfectionist taper

Post by 3creeks »

I've been doing a bit of reading in the archives and I'm intrigued by the Perfectionist with a .260 butt. I know that there are many iterations of this famous rod floating around but I've never seen numbers for this version. I'd be appreciative if anyone could share the taper with me. TIA

Jeff

penta-spey
Guide

Re: .260 Perfectionist taper

Post by penta-spey »

Did you ever find the .260 Perfectionist 3creeks?
I'm on a bit of a Perfectionist build kick lately, that is why I ask.
Is that taper on Planning Form back issues DVD, anyone know? If YES I'll buy it.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

penta-spey wrote:
03/17/22 12:49
Did you ever find the .260 Perfectionist 3creeks?
I'm on a bit of a Perfectionist build kick lately, that is why I ask.
Is that taper on Planning Form back issues DVD, anyone know? If YES I'll buy it.
I did not but I haven't pursued it much beyond this thread. I have most issues of The Planing Form as well as volumes 1 and 2 of the Best of, and if I ever find it in there I'll happily post it.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

As far as I know, Bob Summers still builds that taper, so according to the board rules this is not something we are supposed to share, even if we have it.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Whatever standard perfectionist you like, I’d start with the tip taper and ferrule from that, and try a 260-265 butt as opposed to 275 -280.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Canewrap wrote:
03/17/22 14:00
As far as I know, Bob Summers still builds that taper, so according to the board rules this is not something we are supposed to share, even if we have it.
Out of curiosity, there is a Perfectionist taper commonly built and shared in books and online, which has a .275 butt dimension. Bob has a model 275. What is the difference between sharing that taper and the one mentioned here? I know what you are saying but I don't believe that Bob Summers is marketing his models as Paul Young tapers so if someone wants to share other Young tapers here I'm not sure where the conflict is.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Wayne C’s 4 wt Perfectionist May serve your purpose?

Paul Young Perf. #2

https://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/#walker

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

creakycane wrote:
03/17/22 17:23
Wayne C’s 4 wt Perfectionist May serve your purpose?

Paul Young Perf. #2

https://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/#walker
This is no different than the Perfectionist in Mauer's book.

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

Some quick Hexrod work (do not know what i would do without hexrod).
Took the .275 butted PHY Perfectionist from Mauer's book and dropped the line to a 3DT and let Hexrod do it's majic.
It then adjusts the taper and drops the butt to around ~.263, close enough for me.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Canewrap wrote:
03/17/22 14:00
Agree with 3 Creeks. The cat is pretty much out of the bag on PHY tapers anyway, isn't it? As far as I know, Bob Summers hasn't made a claim to owning the PHY rod co, and long as somebody isn't micing and posting Bob Summer's rods, I think the PHY tapers are fair game.

Penta Spey - 3 wt perfectionist - sounds sweet - let us know how it casts a 3 line, I may try one here as soon as I can get my shop back together (all my major equipment is in storage at the moment).

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

The first rod that I built was the Perfectionist taper from the Howells book, supposedly a 5 weight. Well, it being my first effort and my node prep and planing being very lacking in skill, I sanded the blank significantly. The end result was a rod that casts a DT3 line amazingly and I took a lot of fish from some small streams with it. Maybe I should just mic my own finished rod and and post the taper for you John! :lol

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Sounds like a plan!

John

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Be careful what you wish for. I used cheap size 14 ferrules from Angler's Roost and all the guides were size 3. I was mislead by a person who shall remain nameless and who sold me the #3 guides. I did not know what I was doing since it was my first rod. I don't think the end taper is worth much and I think any success that has resulted is from a combination of errors and chance. I did a rush job on the wraps because I wanted to take it on a trip, and I have considered re-wrapping it with appropriate size guides and doing a better job on it overall. I don't think it would be worth the effort and I have chosen to move ahead. I will say that I have had my eye on a 7 1/2' Sir D taper in David Ray's taper library that's supposed to be a DT3. You may want to look at it.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I'd be interested to hear more how the 7 1/2' sir D performs. I've built 2 of the 7' sir D's (4wt) and they are just a joy to cast, and roll casting machines.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

sanderson wrote:
03/19/22 16:38
I'd be interested to hear more how the 7 1/2' sir D performs. I've built 2 of the 7' sir D's (4wt) and they are just a joy to cast, and roll casting machines.
There are a few different "Sir D" tapers in the library. My assumption is that most of them originated with Wayne's book and Darryl modified them slightly. I need to look at his book to see if there's a 3 weight version in the 7 1/2' length but the one in the library takes a size 11 ferrule. I should have built one by now but I got sidetracked by a couple of different rod builds that were fun in their own right. The supposed .260 Perfectionist is what in my imagination would be similar to the 3 weight Sir D. I have built two Perfectionist tapers built on the 275 butt and they are fantastic rods for a DT4.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Here is the link to the 3 weight Sir D

https://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/drtapers/ ... _90_3.html

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

3creeks wrote:
03/19/22 16:58
Here is the link to the 3 weight Sir D

https://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/drtapers/ ... _90_3.html
The hexrod taper above is exactly the same as the one in my copy of Handcrafting Bamboo Fly Rods by Wayne Cattanach.

I own a Paul Young Nymph Jr., 7'6", 2/2 (made I think by Todd Young in 1990) which measures .271" over varnish just above the handle (so about .266" without varnish).

With reference to the initial post, Cattanach gives tapers for an 8 foot, DT #4, with a butt of .261" (2 piece) or .262" (3 piece). This is on my list of tapers to build. Has anyone made or fished with one of these?

Return to “Taper Exchange”