Hmmmm... Guess I'm not alone in this.....

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Mistermike
Sport

Re: Hmmmm... Guess I'm not alone in this.....

Post by Mistermike »

galt wrote:
01/20/22 15:50
Hellmtflies wrote:
01/17/22 11:13

Yea, my thinking has been to move to a place that's already crushed, and I won't have to watch as this one explodes. :)
You want to leave a place that has become "crushed" that, suites your life style, to move to a place that is already "crushed" just so you don't have to watch the "crush"???????????
What am I missing?

Galt
You're missing the part about witnessing the crushing first hand. I feel this everytime I visit family and friends in California, my home state. Believe it or not it was a pretty damn nice place to live until the 80s. Seeing what it has become and will never be again because of extreme population growth is very sad.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

A few weeks ago I mentioned to a crusty guy I know that I wished we had a Whole Foods here. This guy went absolutely nuts on me. Apparently Whole Foods coming in is the last nail in the coffin for those who want to see their community remain the way it was 50 years ago. I replied, "so I guess you like paying high prices for outdated crappy produce."

It's pretty sad when Walmart has the best produce in town. And the real Rocket Man (Bezos) brings a lot of merchandise to our front doors that we would otherwise be traveling for.

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

3creeks wrote:
01/20/22 18:36
Are we not made of stronger stuff than to be offended by someones opinion in a post? I hate shutting down dialogue for fear of offending someone. It's become a national pastime. Boze Angeles? I actually LIVE in Los Angeles so I could choose to be offended if I wanted to be! But I prefer to point out the obvious, which is that as bad as you think you have it, there is no fly fishing or grouse hunting close enough to LA and the public golf courses, if you can get a tee time or walk on, promise you a 6-7 hour 18 hole round. Boze Angeles sounds pretty good to me.
You are just the person I need to talk to. The quality of life in Los Angeles has taken a nose dive since I grew up there because of the huge increase in population and the high cost of living, but the idea of being able to walk out to the backyard in my shorts in the middle of January to pick an orange off of the tree does have some appeal. I also understand the variety and quality of ethnic restaurants and markets is without equal if that's your thing. I now live in the suburbs of St. Louis. There's fishing for trout and small mouth within a couple of hours. Plentiful deer and duck hunting. Two good fly fishing shops and lots of golf courses. Very quiet around here with lots of deer, assorted other critters, and plenty of road kill from which to harvest tying material; a turkey is an especially good, but relatively rare find. In the interest of experiencing a change of pace I would be willing to give all of this up and trade my place for yours in the month of January or February. I mean who wants to be in LA in the rainy season anyhow?😉

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ya gotta love moving to a better road kill area!

Jay Edwards

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Mistermike wrote:
03/17/22 09:25
3creeks wrote:
01/20/22 18:36
Are we not made of stronger stuff than to be offended by someones opinion in a post? I hate shutting down dialogue for fear of offending someone. It's become a national pastime. Boze Angeles? I actually LIVE in Los Angeles so I could choose to be offended if I wanted to be! But I prefer to point out the obvious, which is that as bad as you think you have it, there is no fly fishing or grouse hunting close enough to LA and the public golf courses, if you can get a tee time or walk on, promise you a 6-7 hour 18 hole round. Boze Angeles sounds pretty good to me.
You are just the person I need to talk to. The quality of life in Los Angeles has taken a nose dive since I grew up there because of the huge increase in population and the high cost of living, but the idea of being able to walk out to the backyard in my shorts in the middle of January to pick an orange off of the tree does have some appeal. I also understand the variety and quality of ethnic restaurants and markets is without equal if that's your thing. I now live in the suburbs of St. Louis. There's fishing for trout and small mouth within a couple of hours. Plentiful deer and duck hunting. Two good fly fishing shops and lots of golf courses. Very quiet around here with lots of deer, assorted other critters, and plenty of road kill from which to harvest tying material; a turkey is an especially good, but relatively rare find. In the interest of experiencing a change of pace I would be willing to give all of this up and trade my place for yours in the month of January or February. I mean who wants to be in LA in the rainy season anyhow?😉
Hey Mike, I'm glad that you are finally starting to like St. Louis after being here for 30 years. You did forget to mention the endless great "drinking water" that we have here due to the confluence of the two largest rivers in the country. But please don't mention it, because it is one of our best kept secrets in the age of water getting more and more scarce....

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Livingston looked viable the last time we were there.

Dillon, MT is also nice.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”