Fly Fishing Zingers / Retractors

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

rudyc
Sport

Fly Fishing Zingers / Retractors

Post by rudyc »

Anyone here have any experience with one that will last more than a season or two?
If so, please let me know
It's a good day for something.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Fishing Zingers / Retractors

Post by GerardH »

I have old Cabela's and Orvis retractors on my vest that are over 30 years old. One of them finally gave up the ghost last summer, but still have a couple going strong.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The Simms and Fishpond styles with a coiled plastic cord like a telephone cord have held up for years for me. Of course, nothing lasts forever. When they break whatever tool or gadget will likely be lost.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

+1. I have some of those Simms retractors last an awefully long time.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Yes, most zingers fail in a few seasons. We been using the gearkeeper now for more than a decade from holding forceps to my wife using it for her staff. The fishpond coil with the button lock has continued to work, but has limited reach.

Last edited by RaspberryPatch on 01/16/22 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Yes. My old Orvis Battenkill zingers. Unfortunately long out of production. They have lasted the better part of 17 years. They have a screw post on the back. The ones pictured below are newer ones I put on my chest box. The old ones need a little work. These are probably 15 years old but brand new. A buddy of mine has two of these also and have remained on his vest for 20 years I think. He's the reason I bought mine. They probably stopped making them because they last so long. They show up on the auction site once in a while.

Of the new crop, I have high hopes for the FishPond zingers. So far I have 4 years on two of them on another vest. Most likely the curly-Q plastic retractor part will wear out but it can be replaced. The attachment mechanism looks pretty tough actually. The push-button mechanism should last quite a while. I have not had good luck with Simms. The attachment point breaks on me.

Gatekeepers are also pretty tough.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'm not a fan of Simms products but their zingers work well and have held up remarkably. Also, if you happen to take the tour at Simms they will let you make one. :)

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Ketcham McDougall retractors. All metal. I've used a few over the decades, and I will usually lose one before it breaks.

bb

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I've used a fishpond Arrow retractor for my net, all-metal and very solid for about 6 years, along with two of their 360 Swivel retractors. Guide houres on the water with no problems.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The most reliable way to go is to not use a zinger at all. My nippers floatant etc are all on zipper pulls with no zinger. Never have to worry about failure. Forceps are the only exception so I use that heavy duty gearkeeper from Amazon it was designed for SCUBA I think.

Not using a zinger requires careful consideration on how your vest is laid out but it’s pretty easy. Saves $$ to. If you fish a lot like me it makes sense.

John

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Abel Zinger although it is no longer made.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Abel zinger no longer made - ouch.

I did not mention them, as I have not used them for many years, but they have worked well to date.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”