A Special Orvis Seven Four

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

A Special Orvis Seven Four

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I am honored to share with you a very special Orvis rod that I recently acquired with the assistance of a forum member. It is an Orvis Seven Four that came from Howard Steere's estate. It appears that this rod is unfished, which begs the question: should I fish it or keep is as new?

Cheers,
Joe

crkennedy1
Sport

Re: A Special Orvis Seven Four

Post by crkennedy1 »

A beautiful work of art, no doubt. Ask yourself what’s the long game? If it’s “to heck with the rest of the world “, then get out there and start rippin’ some lips. If it’s an investment to help pay for a woke generation’s college, then store it away, and dream of what will never be.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

I have questions about the provenance of that rod, never seen hardware, reel seat mortise style, or serial number like that before, wrap colors (light tan tipped in red) and blond impregnated came into play well after the green foil label on the raw aluminum tube had been retired, interesting, and please correct me if I am wrong......oh, and BTW, generally, and I hope I am speaking for the majority of members here on this forum, we don't "rip lips" around here. Cheers, Todd

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Todd, the rod is not blonde although some of the photos do make it look lighter than it really is. I've owned other Orvis rods with similar color (see my 8' 3/2 in post 15 here viewtopic.php?p=902736#p902736 / Scott Z's scarce and unusal post for an example. It clearly is not a typical production rod.
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/16/22 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I wouldn't know whether to fish it or not, but it sure is pretty! Since you've got another Seven/Four I would at least give yourself plenty of time to think about it before deciding.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That's certainly a special 7/4!
I don't think anyone should decide except you Joe.

Fishbamboorods

Post by Fishbamboorods »

Fish it as that was what it was made for.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Simply Lovely and a great taper too, hard decisions I know, but for me I would fish it and sell the other one.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

The rod was made in the Manchester rod shop for superindent Howard Steere, probably in the late-1970s. Every aspect of it is correct from the unmistakable inscription by Gert Bowens Nicols to the stamping of the label on the tube. The components are all-Orvis, the reel seat being the one used on the 1977-1978 "Classic Limited Edition" and "Greenheart Limited Edition" rods. It appears to have been finished as the limited edition sans the hard anodizing on the cap and ring.

What a great rod...

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Awesome rod with Orvis provenance! Congratulations NewUtahCaneAngler!!!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

rsagebrush wrote:
01/16/22 08:32
Simply Lovely and a great taper too, hard decisions I know, but for me I would fish it and sell the other one.
This was my plan when I purchased the rod, but after receiving it, I'm having second thoughts about fishing it and I do consider myself an angler who likes to accumulate vintage gear vs. a true collector. I need to give this rod some more time. Based upon its condition, I don't believe that it has been fished and it certainly won't hurt to wait a few more months since its likely already been waiting for 45 years or more.

Cheers,
Joe

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Same reel seat hardware as my Greenheart and Classic Limited Ed. Rods, I stand corrected, thanks Greg. In response to your original inquiry Joe, I would definitely tuck the rod away, there are plenty of 7/4s out there for fishing purposes. No need to compromise a collectible. Todd

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Greg Reynolds wrote:
01/16/22 08:37
The rod was made in the Manchester rod shop for superindent Howard Steere, probably in the late-1970s. Every aspect of it is correct from the unmistakable inscription by Gert Bowens Nicols to the stamping of the label on the tube. The components are all-Orvis, the reel seat being the one used on the 1977-1978 "Classic Limited Edition" and "Greenheart Limited Edition" rods. It appears to have been finished as the limited edition sans the hard anodizing on the cap and ring.
Greg, thank you for identifying the reel seat; I had not made that connection myself. I believe that your educated guess at the vintage is correct as the rod sock is made from the same material as that of a spring '77 graphite Far and Fine (not marked as such) rod that I recently owned, but sold to pay for one of my recently acquired Deluxe rods.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Cheers,
Joe

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
01/16/22 12:42
...I believe that your educated guess at the vintage is correct as the rod sock is made from the same material as that of a spring '77 graphite Far and Fine...
Green bags made of that specific fabric were used by Orvis starting in about 1976. They were also using tan bags at the time. Green bags appear to have been predominate through about the end of 1978, less common through about 1980, and used sporatically until about 1984.

Also, I don't know what tool the rod shop used to stamp the edition number on the butt caps of the late-1970s limited editions, but it appears to be the same one used on your Seven/four Special.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

My 1982 7/4 had a tan colored bag

My 1978 7/4 has a bright green bag

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

Wow! Just amazing. I thought I had one of each version of Seven/four. Now I’ve got something new to obsess over. Like CFOs, a rabbit hole I don’t want to climb out of.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Wish I could add something useful, but all I can add is that is a super sweet 7/4. Wish all the post-WWII Orvis rods had a face like that; good looking Orvis impregnated rods are not easy to find. That one is outstanding on all counts: cane tone, raw hardware, elegant Grade B wraps with some nice touches like the longer nose wrap, lovely wood insert, well-formed (and longer than usual?) grip, all complemented in general character by the blued ferrules.

Congrats.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Beautiful rod, Joe! Could I ask you to post it on my old “Unusual Orvis Rods” thread? Thanks for sharing!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

If you don't fish it, I'll do it for you. :)

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

I would fish the other 7/4 - maybe lawn cast this one and see if it is significantly different. If not? I'd leave it be.
Mike B

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”