A Special Orvis Seven Four

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Re: A Special Orvis Seven Four

Post by St Vrain Angler »

What Skeet said.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

ibookje wrote:
01/16/22 16:48

My 1978 7/4 has a bright green bag

Here is a bag from a graphite rod manufactured in April 1977

and from my 8' 4 1/8 oz Madison built in Feb 1974 on top and the Special Seven Four on the bottom

I'm reasonably certain that the graphite rod's bag and the Special Seven Four's bag are of the same material. The tube sticker and tube cap are the same on my Madison and the Special Seven Four. Both have the cork sheet glued to the knurled top.

I suspect that Howard Steere owned one of the LE 8' 3/2 rods and had this rod made to use on smaller water or perhaps just to display.

Cheers,
Joe

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I would definitely fish this rod.

However, I must state that the term used by another poster, “ripping lips” should be considered unacceptable.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I didn't want to add fuel to the fire and detract from a post regarding a spectacular and rare rod, however the "rippin' lips" comment pertaining to fly fishing or any form of sportfishing is perplexing. If you exert enough force to actually rip a lip would that not cause a less than secure hold for the fly and increase the chances of losing the fish? Using 6 or 7X tippet and having the fish of a lifetime take somehow just doesn't seem to lend itself to that methodology. I believe that somewhere I'd read or heard that flyfishing was referred to as the "Gentle Sport"?

Regarding the stunning Orvis - My humble vote is to fish it and honor what it was built for.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

[quote=hopkintoncane post_id=940033 time=1642291896 BTW, generally, and I hope I am speaking for the majority of members here on this forum, we don't "rip lips" around here. Cheers, Todd
[/quote]

Ha!
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

I think the term "ripping lips" applies more to the bait fishermen I see ripping the swallowed hooks out of fish on our Farmington River Catch-Kill-and Release Area.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I was trying to be subtle but the term is used by the younger generation as a "catch phrase" and is no doubt macho / testosterone fueled. Rather than saying " I hope we find some willing risers to fool, it's now " Man, I'm down for rippin' some lips". Not wanting to hijack this thread. Obviously the term raised some brows.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

crkennedy1 wrote:
01/15/22 18:38
A beautiful work of art, no doubt. Ask yourself what’s the long game? If it’s “to heck with the rest of the world “, then get out there and start rippin’ some lips. If it’s an investment to help pay for a woke generation’s college, then store it away, and dream of what will never be.
“ripping some lips”

REALLY?

Why do you bring this level of discourse here?

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Lighten up Francis. It's obvious it was written tongue in cheek.

Meji

Post by Meji »

Such a beautiful work of art

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”