The Fishing in Print

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

The Fishing in Print

Post by Hellmtflies »

As always, I'm way way way behind in plowing through the books I should have read years ago. And his one is no exception. "The Fishing in Print" by Arnold Gingrich. Published by Winchester Press in 1974. All I can say is that if you have any interest at all in the development of fly fishing and the written and published work on the subject then this bugger is a must. I struggled a bit through the first half and the old English is tough to grasp for me but as the book unfolds and moves from the other side of the pond to America it all comes together and is a revelation to the insight to the process and evolution of fly-fishing literature. IMHO. Well worth the time to read. If nothing else, it will surely compliment John McDonald's work "Quill Gordon" (1972). Enjoy!
Mark

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Fishing in Print

Post by Eric Peper »

Agree that it is an extremely worthwhile book. I look at it primarily as a research and reference tool rather than a "read straight through" book. Because of his voluminous knowledge of angling literature Arnold was a primary reference tool for me when I was running the Field & Stream Book Club many moons ago. Our long phone conversations and occasional face-to-face meetings are among my fondest memories of that time (mid '70s).

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

One of my favorite historical books on (fly) fishing.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I saw a copy today at $30.00. Great book and one I wish I would have kept last time I moved. We should construct a list of 'classic' modern American fly fishing literature. Gingrich wrote a couple other books, both high on my list.
If a literature focused fly fisher today would draw a 100 mile circle around Roscoe, N.Y. he or she would find a world of great fishing. Flick, Darbee, Dette, Jorgenson, Bruns, and a ton more.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Agreed, but I love Arnold Gingrich & his written words...

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

One of the authors who has a permanent place in my library, regardless of the subject.

Return to “Book Talk”