Snipe flies.

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

upstate
Master Guide

Snipe flies.

Post by upstate »

The Snipe and Orange North Country Fly tied on a Alec Jackson size 13 hook.

url=https://postimg.cc/xqcf3Lw8]Image[/url]

thehersh
Guide

Re: Snipe flies.

Post by thehersh »

Nice,never understood the odd hook numbers,i have some 11s 13s and i think 15s.Orvis and partridge i believe.Hook sizes are kind of arbitrary at best as it is.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Beautiful in its simplicity, and what appears to me anyway, a frugality in technique - a very good thing.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

That snipe appears to have some of it's own orange coloration in the photo Tom. Lovely stuff! It has a liveliness beyond grouse or partridge.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Thank you Mark! The Snipe wing is a beatiful feather to tie with! The under covert feathers of light dun tipped with a sparkle and the over covert feathers with their earthy colors are gems. The primaries are used in many North Country Flies as wings and also a few dries as well. Such as this Hoflands Fancy found in J. Edson Leonard's book Flies.

Tom

Imagepicture share

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”