Maintaining Varnish in Dip Tube

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

dorenac
Master Guide

Maintaining Varnish in Dip Tube

Post by dorenac »

As I progress putting my new shop together after having moved across country 1600 miles, my next step is to make a new pvc dip tube. Just about ready to thin the varnish and fill the tube. In opening a can of varnish and stirring the "goodies" off the bottom it occurred to me that I will need to do that prior to dipping in the future. So I'm looking for suggestions as to stirring the varnish once it's in the 1-1/2" tube prior to dropping a rod section into the varnish. I don't want to pour out the varnish after each dip if avoidable.

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: Maintaining Varnish in Dip Tube

Post by BGreer »

Marbles or ball bearings in the tube with the varnish. Just shake the tube before dipping.
Although that does create some bubbles that you will have to look out for.

Brian

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Make a stir stick using a dowel and an old film canister cap with holes punched through it. Stick it in the varnish tuber and raise it up and down a few times.

Mark

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Using marbles. ball bearings, or in my case large stainless steel nuts does have another advantage. As the varnish level in the tube drops you can simply add more to raise your level to where you can see the section exit the varnish. I used to flip the tube repeatedly to mix and then one day realized this was unnecessary since I was using Helmsman High Gloss and it didn't contain any flatteners that had to be agitated into the mix such as would be present in semi or eggshell or ? I do, however, periodically empty the varnish and nuts, flush the tube with mineral spirits, clean everything up and restrain the varnish into the tube. I dip a fair amount and usually use the same varnish for up to three years. If the tube gets really nasty, I dump it, spend $10.00 and make a new one. All the work you put in the rod to get it to this point and I would never compromise at this juncture.

I've never done this, but has anyone tried storing their tube inverted so that flatteners would settle to the cap end when not in use? Just curious.

John

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't usually dip unless I have a number of sections to do. I have two copper tubes which I dump together and use a homemade 'viscosity cup', and thin with turpentine to my preferred thickness. I then filter back into the tubes.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”