Phillippe, Mack

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

sulphur4
Guide

Phillippe, Mack

Post by sulphur4 »

A couple "new" acquisitions:

Top rod is an E.B. Mack that I am so thankful to Bamboocollector #1 for recently trading to me for my Vom Hofe. (I located and purchased a Mack rod that looks almost identical to this one in 2018 but, regrettably, sold it about a year ago. I thought I would never be able to replace it.)

This rekindled my search for Easton School rods that started about 3 years ago, and a casual search of the forum for "Phillippe" caught my eye. It was a post about the 2019 Langs Auction and the Solon Phillipe rod another forum member won. The remark that he was planning on organizing the included provenance documents "for the next owner" piqued my attention. I sent him a pm and am now the owner of the widely accepted Solon Phillippe rod once owned by Mary Kelly and Dr. Elder (bottom rod in photo above). As Tom Kerr and others have pointed out, the nickel-plated butt cap was not original; as shown, I have replaced this with a spare Chubb butt cap that looks like the appropriate style and vintage--about 1890s or later considering the snake guides.

Would members recommend further restoring the Phillippe, ie, redoing the wraps? As Tom points out in In Search of Samuel Phillippe Rods, the wraps might not be original and aren't up to the standards of the otherwise excellent, precise work of the Phillippes. I am inclined to not do anything else to the rod but wanted to see what other thought.

I plan on creating a display for the rods that will include an 1880 S.C. Phillippe brochure promoting a Pigeon Shooting Tournament, below, that I found a couple of years ago during my initial search.

I will leave room in this display for a third rod: Now onto the search for that Samuel...

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Phillippe, Mack

Post by Woodlakejag »

I wouldn’t do anything to it if they might be original.

I think a Samuel Phillipe rod will show up sometime in the next few years.

George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: Phillippe, Mack

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

I would suggest not performing any significant restoration at this time due to uncertainty of what original would indeed be.
Great acquisition! I am looking forward to more detailed pics.
Thanks for sharing with us!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”