I got the bends………

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

flyguymt
Sport

I got the bends………

Post by flyguymt »

Is there a sure-fire way to straighten bamboo rod sections?
The tip section has a gentle bend/ curve, I heard you can steam iron it out with a towel and iron, but…… seems like a really good way to delaminate a rod!

GetnThere
Guide

Re: I got the bends………

Post by GetnThere »

Although I haven't straightened a rod searching the site the popular safest way is to heat it up with a hair dryer. Only hot enough so you can still hold it with your bare hands and bend it I opposite direction n hold it until it cools. Some say the bend will come back. The other method if the curve is slight is what I did based on recommendations here it. Put the guides on the opposite side. I taped the guides on first and with lawn casting I noticed that the weight of the line made the rod straight. Worth a try before using harsh? Methods.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Absolutely no to the steam! A hair dryer on high, held four to six inches away while the cane is slowly spun provides all the heat necessary. Tips take very little heat and bending to affect a change, so I would stay back farther with the gun and heat for only a few seconds to start.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

If the rod is a blue collar rod, and you're patient, low heat and gently bending against the set can produce results. If the rod has collectible value I would recommend sending it to someone. Taking out sets requires practice that is typically gotten from doing it on throw away rods and sections where you get the feel for what is too much heat, get the feel for how much flex you can get away with, get the feel for a section that will never stay straight.

flyguymt
Sport

Post by flyguymt »

WOW! The hair dryer it is!! Exactly what I needed before making a small issue into some apocalyptic mess! Thanks gentlemen for the quick replies! I’m not sure what brand or maker it came from, there’s no marking, number, or stamp any on it. It was an “attic find,” stored in a rod tube, and came to me in really great shape

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Canewrap wrote:
01/19/22 22:27
If the rod is a blue collar rod, and you're patient, low heat and gently bending against the set can produce results. If the rod has collectible value I would recommend sending it to someone. Taking out sets requires practice that is typically gotten from doing it on throw away rods and sections where you get the feel for what is too much heat, get the feel for how much flex you can get away with, get the feel for a section that will never stay straight.
Excellent advice. It takes fiddling around and it's best to start with thicker cane and learn how much pressure and heat are required before taking on a fine tip.

flyguymt
Sport

Post by flyguymt »

Next Noobie question: does the rod have to be absolutely straight when I’m done? Does a very slight bend affect the rod’s “fish-ability?” Like casting, feel, control, line movement….

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

flyguymt wrote:
01/20/22 13:03
Next Noobie question: does the rod have to be absolutely straight when I’m done? Does a very slight bend affect the rod’s “fish-ability?” Like casting, feel, control, line movement….
No.......

The hair drier method is what to do. Good luck.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I tried a hair drier it always seemed to take too long so I use a heat gun on low. You have to bend pretty far in the opposite direction with sufficient heat and hold that bend let it cool for say 45 seconds for the bend to “hold”. Once you get the hang of how much heat and how much bend is needed it goes pretty quick. Find a cheap wall hanger to practice on if you are nervous about it.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I've taken sets out of more than a few tips and only a couple of mids using the standard household toaster. It provides very even heat and allows both hands on the rod section. You can easily tell when it is ready by touching it and if it makes you say "whoa" it's ready. There can be a fine line between too hot and not hot enough. I've found that 8-10" above and constant rotation with hands close to a foot apart GENTLY and evenly bending in the opposite direction twice the curve of the set and allowing to mostly cool before releasing will do wonders. Seems like smooth and even is key and it shouldn't take multiple tries - one and done assures less chance of damaging the blank.

TJ hit it 100% - using an old garage sale special to practice on can do wonders for learning the technique and save a lot of cussing!

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

BigTJ and barebo are spot on. I too use a heatgun on low, but you do need to be real careful if you haven't tried this before on a beater section.

flyguymt
Sport

Post by flyguymt »

Thanks guys for the advice!! I did take a tip and a mid section from a “garage sale” to get the feel of it, low and slow seems to be the key, I also used an electric stove top burner on low to 1, nice constant even heat. I didn’t bend it far enough on the first tries, figured I snap the thing in two! Seems like 2x’s the bend is the key!! Worked like a charm! Working on sketchy sections makes you brave!!
Much appreciate your kind responses!

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”