fowler gauge

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: fowler gauge

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use a Yuasa With black and red numbers, red for depth I think. I use the top of my forms as a datum, zero, read the red numbers and make whatever adjustments I need on the forms. I use 'Bootstrap' forms, so not ground surfaces. i check my cane dimensions a lot.

Jay Edwards

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

bluesjay wrote:
01/24/22 01:45
Hi Guys, I use a Yuasa With black and red numbers, red for depth I think. I use the top of my forms as a datum, zero, read the red numbers and make whatever adjustments I need on the forms. I use 'Bootstrap' forms, so not ground surfaces. i check my cane dimensions a lot.

Jay Edwards

Exactly! Works every time.

Jerry

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

I’m the same as Jay except for a Starrett dial indicator and Bellinger forms. It’s the dimensions of the strips / finished rod sections we’re after. The tools we use to get there are just that - tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I think this has been answered already by someone else. You set your indicator to zero on the top of the form. Set your form to let's say .1, plane and mic. a piece of cane and then adjust the dial indicator if needed. I only occasionally measure a strip while planing, it really doesn't get you anywhere until your down to the metal.
I trust my gauge and I trust my forms. I set them and plane to the metal and done

Anders Johannesson
Sport

Post by Anders Johannesson »

The best metod is the easy one. Set you form without the indicator to something approx 1/4 inch. Plane 6 strips circa 2 feet long. Glue them together, let dry and file the glue away.

Then you can measure the section. Set the dial to half of the measured Bamboo section.

This metod is the best I know of.

You can write the dimensions on the Bamboo an measure it in winter and summer time and you Will get different readings due to humidity.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

There is also that caliper trick, I'm sure somebody can fill in the details. I checked my gauge once by this method and it gave me the same result

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”