A question for hexrod users and Penta Rod builders

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

RSalar
Guide

A question for hexrod users and Penta Rod builders

Post by RSalar »

I am modifying an existing six sided rod to a five sided configuration. After bringing up the taper I want to modify I click on "Modify Rod Design" then "Geometry" then I get three options for "Equivalence Method" -- 1) Equal Cross Sectional Areas, 2) Equal Stiffness, and 3) Equal Casting Deflection.

My question is: which one of those three options will result in a rod closest to the action of the six sided version? The taper I am modifying is J Howell's version of the Dickerson 8015 GS.

Thanks
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A question for hexrod users and Penta Rod builders

Post by Tim Anderson »

My method would be to make all three calculations, graph them, and compare the results. My guess is that the variations will be small.

Tim

Fcs
Guide

Post by Fcs »

Yes the differences will be small. Personally I think equal casting deflection makes a lot of sense, if i had to choose one.

Frank Stetzer, Hexrod’s stepfather
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Always use casting deflection. I did a program at CRR last year where I took 3 rods, one hex, one quad and one penta and converted them (for a total of 9 rods) using casting deflection and they almost matched perfectly in family. Also know that all rods do not necessarily convert well to different geometries. BTW the Dickerson 8015 converts very nicely.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Thank you all for your answers— I appreciate the help!
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”