Hardware blacking (blackening) question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Jcrouse
Guide

Hardware blacking (blackening) question

Post by Jcrouse »

Just curious if it's.possible to blacken hardware without removing it from the rod?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardware blacking (blackening) question

Post by steeliefool »

What do you mean by " blackening"? If you mean "japaning", I don't see why not. I believe Heddon used india ink followed by clear laquer.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

steeliefool wrote:What do you mean by " blackening"? If you mean "japaning", I don't see why not. I believe Heddon used india ink followed by clear laquer.
Sorry I mean Blueing I suppose. Redoing like in the picture.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

It can be done I've done it a number of times. The trick is to get what you want to blue clean and smooth while still attached to the rod. What I've done is tape off anything I didn't want to damage or get the Blueing on. Then I used fine steel wool to smooth up the area as best I could. I then cleaned the area with denatured alcohol to remove any oil. I've only ever used Brass Black which I applied with a Q Tip following the instructions on the bottle. I think you could use any other liquid product following the same procedure. The results were not always perfect, but I was mostly satisfied.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

fisherman911 wrote:It can be done I've done it a number of times. The trick is to get what you want to blue clean and smooth while still attached to the rod. What I've done is tape off anything I didn't want to damage or get the Blueing on. Then I used fine steel wool to smooth up the area as best I could. I then cleaned the area with denatured alcohol to remove any oil. I've only ever used Brass Black which I applied with a Q Tip following the instructions on the bottle. I think you could use any other liquid product following the same procedure. The results were not always perfect, but I was mostly satisfied.
Thank you!! Is there any issue with like brush marks or does it lay down as it dries?

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I always fit the ferrules first, then oxidise them, when I am building a new rod. It works best for me although I know that not everyone does it that way.

See viewtopic.php?p=823858#p823858

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I do the ferrules on the rod these days. There are a couple of recipes for bluing solutions floating around the internet and I'd prefer those rather than the commercially available ones which seem to get weaker with time. One home solution involves Photo Fixer. Garrison has a couple in the Carmichael book, one which uses chemicals that I'm not totally sure you can get easily still.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

What I finally learned about bluing:
Yes, bluing in place is fine, though things like narrow winding checks are always a PITA.
Yes, BC Brass Black is fine if you follow the directions, which I hadn't been doing closely enough. My best results include (whenever possible) removal of all old bluing with 4/0 steel wool, cleaning with BC Cleaner Degreaser (many products work but alcohol wasn't as effective for me), "rinse/repeat" multiple applications, generally three seem to do it but no reason not to go another if you aren't getting the darkness you're after. I don't expect the results that Payne and others got, but they didn't use an off-the-shelf product with easy cleanup. I'm using an easy to obtain product right out of the bottle, and I'm standing at the kitchen sink when I do this. When you don't have a shop or garage to work in, that last point really counts.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

I've never had a problem with "brush marks" when using Brass Black. It lays down pretty even. Also, Dawn Dishwashing liquid and hot water makes a pretty effective degreaser but is not always usable when the part is still attached to the rod.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

Shouldn’t really be a problem. Ofcourse, if there is a lot of detail on the brass work, it might be harder to get a perfect result, but after 3-4 coats it should look good.
If the hardweare is monted directly onto the handle, it should be said that you might get some discolouration on the cork or wood. It can sometimes be hard to avoid this. Therefore, I usually prefer do remove all hardwear before bluing, except of ferrules.
Here is a picture of a 1915 Hardy «Victoria» salmon rod that I redid a while ago.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Thanks very much all!!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use Brass Black to blue ferrules on the rod as others have suggested. Other hardware, not so much.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”