Leonard silk thread and restoration questions.

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

kakaryan
Guide

Leonard silk thread and restoration questions.

Post by kakaryan »

So I recently acquired a pretty nice Leonard rod (model86, Salmon Dry Fly), and I plan to do some restoration. Before I start, I would like to ask for some opinions first in order not to ruin its potential value.

The bamboo blank and varnish is in perfect condition, but a guide wrap is broken, and some others have the varnish cracked a bit (the wrap seems still good). So I at least need to do ONE re-wrap.

1. What silk thread should I use? which is the best match to the original wrap red colour? (I read Gudeboard 326, which seems discontinued already. How about Fish Hawk brand?)

2. For those having crack on the varnish but the silk wrap is still good, should I re-wrap them also?

3. The metal parts have some stain on it (reelseat, fighting butt, which I think they are Nickle silver?) I plan to polish them with Brasso, good?

4. Is it able to remove the (white dirt) on the red rubber button?

5. How much would be the potential values? (before and after the above restoration). I plan to fish it, but just curious.

Thanks

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard silk thread and restoration questions.

Post by fisherman911 »

I don't know if Gudebrod 326 is the correct thread but if you want to try it (on a test stick) there is plenty of it floating around. If you place a want to buy add on this forum you would probably find some. You would also need to find out what Leonard used as a color preserver.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Thanks. Any more suggestions?

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

You could try some of the Japanese silk threads too. Gudebrod #326 "Scarlet" can be closely matched by some of the other brands. Your original thread has no doubt faded over time and new thread may need matching the old thread under old varnish in any case.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Not sure how helpful this will be... I have a Leonard of what looks like similar vintage that I paid less than $200 and have fished it fairly hard. Upon possession I checked it over carefully and the varnish, wraps etc. looked to be in excellent shape. After losing two guides, began to think it needed some help (wraps were indeed dry). I did need to rewrap the stripper guide and then replace the two misplaced snakes. Cleaned the rest of the wraps with mineral spirits and overcoated with varnish and they have held up well. Main interest was keeping in in usable shape as it isn’t a collectors item. You can see in the pics the newer silk in brighter by a few shades - did not use color preserver

Fishhawk 000 silk the color is 201

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

i believe the word is that Leonard used lacquer as a CP. Good luck.
Last edited by DonT on 01/23/22 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Probably too late but since I was just trying to match similar wraps I can say YLI 100 #201 with nitrocellulouse lacquer CP - 3 coats - and 2 coats of dark spar varnish, like ACE, on top should get you close. Pay careful attention to the # of thread wraps you want the thread to "shoulder up" against the bump in the varnish and you want to ensure every wrap is butted up against each other nice and tight with no gaps. The first coat of CP has to get into the guide tunnel from underneath, tilt the rod vertically back and forth and work it in with the tip of your brush or you will get some bleed through with the varnish and have to do it all over again. .

Personally I don't believe in perfectly matching the wraps I think it's good to leave a bit of a "tell" that the wrap was replaced, more honest that way, your opinion may vary.

-John

Begbie

Post by Begbie »

John, what nitrocellulouse lacquer do you use, and do you thin it? If so, with what and by how much?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I use ColorTone guitar lacquer. They have few different glosses, I use the regular modern gloss, since I put spar over the top of it. You can get a lifetime supply many places online. I put mine in a stop loss bag and put what I need in a glass jar. I thin it with laquer thinner from Ace just enough so it will flow off a bodkin nicely and penetrate. I don't know maybe 5-10%? Something like that.

This stuff works great for Heddon and Granger restorations which is pretty much all I do.

-John

Begbie

Post by Begbie »

Thanks, John.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”