Short forum outage this evening

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Titelines
Administrator

Short forum outage this evening

Post by Titelines »

Sorry for the late announcement. The forum may be down for a short time tonight, Sat Jan 22 at Midnight PDT. Dreamhost is moving our database server to a faster, bigger server. Seems some of the glitches we might have been having in the past were due to our database outgrowing it's boundaries. Over the years we've been on Dreamhost, our database grew to almost 4 GB, and we were only allocated 3 GB. They're moving the database to a VPS server, much like the one the forum itself is hosted on, and if we need to grow our server space, it can be accomplished by the click of a button. They'll just expand the space on the new server for us.

Hopefully this will be a lot less painful than what the simple tapatalk update was supposed to be. :D

Thank you for your patience.
Mark

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Short forum outage this evening

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thank you for your continued hard work on the forum Mark...

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

Thank you for all you do here Mark - it really is remarkable!

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

This one was easy. Dreamhost did all the work, I just sat back and watched. :rollin

Mark

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Followup:

I noticed a bit of a delay when opening forums and topics. Turns out, when Dreamhost moved our database, they moved it to a server on the east coast. There's a delay while the forum queries the database, and the database returns the results of the query.

Dreamhost's suggestion is to move the forum to the same location as the database, which I thought was a grand idea. It will be done this Wednesday, 26 January, at 12 midnight PDT. They said the move will take about 1/2 hour, and the forum will be down during that time. Hopefully this move will go as smoothly as our database move.

Thanks for your patience.
Mark

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Thanks for your continued attention and service on our behalf. Your efforts are much appreciated, Mark!

Rupert

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Ah, was wondering about the delay, thanks for the explanation, and especially for all the work you do keeping this place running.

All the best on the front-end move this Wednesday.

Kenneth

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for all your efforts, Mark.

Will this help the Avatar situation? I still can't seem to resurrect my old one.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Scott, You're probably running into the same problem that I did...your avatar exceeds the size reduction imposed by the outfit we're contracted with. I had to play with mine until I got it small enough to fit.... it took a while.

Ralph

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Titelines wrote:
01/24/22 16:15
Followup:

I noticed a bit of a delay when opening forums and topics. Turns out, when Dreamhost moved our database, they moved it to a server on the east coast. There's a delay while the forum queries the database, and the database returns the results of the query.

Dreamhost's suggestion is to move the forum to the same location as the database, which I thought was a grand idea. It will be done this Wednesday, 26 January, at 12 midnight PDT. They said the move will take about 1/2 hour, and the forum will be down during that time. Hopefully this move will go as smoothly as our database move.

Thanks for your patience.
Mark
I notice this delay too. It's not that bad, but when you come to expect webpages to open in negative time, it is noticeable. Thank you for managing this site!

Dale

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thank you for keeping the forum up.
I noticed the slight delay. Almost thought it was time to get a new iPhone :D

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Flyman615 wrote:
01/24/22 16:55
Thanks for all your efforts, Mark.

Will this help the Avatar situation? I still can't seem to resurrect my old one.

Scott Z.
Scott,

No, it won't. Check the size of your avatar image, it needs to be 100 x 100 pixels and 60 kb o less in file size.

Mark

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Sincere thanks to you and all administrators for what you do.

And I appreciate the explanation about the delay. My low-tech mind assumed it was just my laptop.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Well, looks like they did it a day earlier than planned. At any rate, the speed seems to be back now. Pages are opening almost instantly now.

Mark

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Yes it does! No need to get a new iPhone :)

Thanks Mark!

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Okay, looks like the notification emails are flowing again. Made some changes recommended by Dreamhost and it looks like that may have fixed the issue. Fingers crossed.

Mark

Return to “Forum Announcements”