Edison 2022

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

lestrout1
Guide

Edison 2022

Post by lestrout1 »

Anyone else planning to go? I heard from Robert Bolt that he and Mark Aroner canceled their plans this time. But the show organizers are sending multiple reassuring messages saying they're on, despite Omicron. All COVID protocols to be observed. LMK which day(s) you are attending, and if anyone wants to carpool from West Chester or the Philly area.

tl
les

ted patlen
Master Guide

Re: Edison 2022

Post by ted patlen »

look for me at the "Outlaws" booth.
Ted

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

The website does not seem to have any exhibitor information. Does anyone know who will be there from our (bamboo) world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Emel4
Sport

Post by Emel4 »

Looks like vendor list is now up.
Unless I'm missing someone I don't see any classic tackle vendors. I recently had one prominent dealer
tell me that Covid concerns aside the price of booths has become prohibitive.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Emel4 wrote:
01/24/22 07:28
Unless I'm missing someone I don't see any classic tackle vendors. I recently had one prominent dealer
Can you share a link please. Last list I saw said based on past events. Not sure how true, but I heard many vendors outside of the big names are not attending this year.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Emel4
Sport

Post by Emel4 »

cappy wrote:
01/24/22 13:08
Emel4 wrote:
01/24/22 07:28
Can you share a link please. Last list I saw said based on past events. Not sure how true, but I heard many vendors outside of the big names are not attending this year.
https://flyfishingshow.com/edison-nj/
Hit the dropdown for Exhibitors and Map. It's greyed out but that means it's populated.
I see the contrary. I can't find most of the big companies either. I don't see Sage, Loomis, T&T, Simms or Patagonia among others. I don't even see Orvis.
Only one is Hardys. Most likely they are leaving representation up to their dealer shops. I am glad I decided to pass this year.

Mark

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Yep, looks like the list has been updated. You are correct, the majority of the big names are not on the list. I don't live far, however will pass this year.
Anatole France

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I wish the show organizers would move the show back to Somerset. The facility was vastly superior with it's access to the adjoining hotel & restaurants.

Emel4
Sport

Post by Emel4 »

Tommasini wrote:
01/27/22 06:37
I wish the show organizers would move the show back to Somerset. The facility was vastly superior with it's access to the adjoining hotel & restaurants.
I totally agree. Plus there were other hotel options within a mile or so and better parking. That being said, I have heard that facility is no longer there. Not sure if this is the case, maybe someone here can confirm one way or another. My biggest beef with the organizers has been that they do not post the list of exhibitors until very close to the event. I come from a good distance away (6-hr drive in good conditions) so I have to plan in advance. I would like to know what I'm coming to see more than a couple of weeks before.

Mark

Igloo lake
Sport

Post by Igloo lake »

My friends operate a Canadian lodge and they cancelled fearing they couldn't get back to Canada. Also one of the bigger retailers cancelled Marlbough, so I would think NJ isn't in his plans.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

It is true that the Somerset facility no longer hosts shows and events. If I remember correctly the owners decided that they could make more money putting the property to another use. Somerset was a great venue, I don't that Edison comes close.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

With an eye on the weather, I'm still doing Edison. Even though some vendors may not be there, there's always enough to keep me busy. If the crowds dwindle, then I'll get more casting time on the 'ponds'. It's always great to see old friends (both vendors and non-vendors) and making new ones is part of the appeal. Besides I like to support events to help ensure they will be there next year. Ordinarily I would have done the weekend, but with this Nor'Easter likely to hit the coast, I'm switching to Friday to avoid the brunt of the snow.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

lestrout1 wrote:
01/27/22 09:47
With an eye on the weather, I'm still doing Edison. Even though some vendors may not be there, there's always enough to keep me busy. If the crowds dwindle, then I'll get more casting time on the 'ponds'. It's always great to see old friends (both vendors and non-vendors) and making new ones is part of the appeal. Besides I like to support events to help ensure they will be there next year. Ordinarily I would have done the weekend, but with this Nor'Easter likely to hit the coast, I'm switching to Friday to avoid the brunt of the snow.
Let us know how it went and comparison to previous years. Thinking the weekend will be a bust with the storm moving in. I believe the Edison area is in the 8 to 12 inch range. Enjoy!
Anatole France

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I'm gonna pass.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Tommasini wrote:
I thought the reason for the move was that they were going to knock the venue down and replace it with warehouse space. I could have gotten bad info though. Agree the old place was MUCH better, especially with the seminars in the hotel conf rooms. Cause I have hearing loss in the new venue I can't hear a thing except background noise, not even worth it for me to see the presentations.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Tommasini wrote:
Me too... show's disappointing IMO, where it is now and who wants to paid $ to enter the facility so one can learn about destination trips that cost top $ while great booths like Charlie Collins no longer attend....

Ed
Last edited by Eperous on 01/29/22 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

lestrout1
Guide

Post by lestrout1 »

I decided to drive the two hours from Chester County in between the two snow storms, rather than chance having maybe a foot of snow to deal with tomorrow. The vendors appeared to be three quarters of past years, not bad considering Omicron. One feature I much prefer about this venue is the two full 'ponds', where I got to try out a goodly bunch of sticks. Somerset only had the one, and with the frequent demonstrations, there was usually a waiting line for play casters like me. There were only a few interesting random sticks, many well priced. The Outlaw had a Hardy Palakona 8 footer that tempted me at $425 list, in very fine condition. Tony Frasca had a 6 foot banty that he salvaged from a 9 foot 3 piecer, and it was very sweet with a 5 weight. He also had his Beaverkill, possibly made from Edwards blanks, and that was very sweet too, but more a 3 or 4 weight and more suited to the private water up the B'kill headwaters than the big water. Bear's Den had a rack of various hardware cane along with a couple of Orvii. So I spent most of my time with Art Weiler's repros, all beautifully finished. One of them was a Garrison, the 'twin' (sort of) to the original which one of his customers had bought for $12,000. The customer was loathe to put water to the trophy and wanted Art to create a replica for actual use. Now I need to do more research to home in on what to order from him.

The Qualifly Reel people from Durango were back. I had gotten a small Maverick from them at Lancaster because I was intrigued by the unique drag system, which is has the drag knob mounted inside the frame and was machined and finished beautifully. Although the design aesthetics are not exactly classic, they are not as bizarro and in-your-face as many current designs in production. They had some new color combinations, again not exactly classic but still pleasing to my eye. And they have introduced another innovative drag setup with the Razorback https://qualiflyreels.com/collections/f ... 4-6-weight with the drag knob being the whole side of the frame. I could see this being handy with cold weather steelheading, since wearing thick gloves would pose no problems if I needed to change the setting in the heat of battle. So one of those went home with me, along with some fly tying stuff. Hitena was back with very interesting tippet materials, one of which is PBT PolyButylene Terephthalate. I think that is unique and I have to put it through its paces. To my way of thinking, mono used for our tippets are based on nylons or fluorocarbons, so this will be fun.

i wasn't that disappointed at the reduced size of the Show. But I didn't feel as overwhelmed as I usually do. All in all, I like to support folks that organize these kinds of events, even in and maybe especiially in off years to make sure they will come back.

tl
les

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Nice write-up Les, almost makes me feel like going.

sweetnut
Sport

Post by sweetnut »

A Brief Recap of my experience at Edison:
I had lined up this trip, going with a friend of mine who is relatively new to fly fishing. The goal for him was to cast a bunch of plastic rods, trying to find an appropriate 7 weight for him for an upcoming redfish trip. I had also spoke with Pentalux, and was looking forward to meeting up with him, and catching up. Attended the event Fri...turnout was good. Got a call from Rob (Pentalux) early, who got jammed up and wasn't going to be able to make it. Bummer...I enjoyed the booths...the typical storefronts carrying materials, clothing, bags, etc were all present. I caught up with a good friend, Jim Levinson who was there showcasing his beautiful photography (Saltwater....Montauk...Striped Bass, etc)Stopped in at Bears Den, who cad a couple cane Rods (saw a nice Orvis Shooting Star that I didn't need), and a nice albeit small collection of vintage reels...JW Youngs, Orvis, a nice new Valentine, Ross, etc. prices for fair dollar...but no real deals. My friend settled on a TFO Mangrove series 7 weight...nice stick. Nor-Vise was there, and I picked up a material holder from than for my vise. I also was in the market for a new pair of polarized shades, went to Costa and wasn't impressed. My preferred brand is Maui Jim, but I saw a nice booth with an up and coming USA Based, New Smyrna, Fl company to be exact....Baija. What drew me to them was US made, AND they are made with plant based resins as opposed to the plastics filling up the world today. Price wasn't cheap, but I took a chance and bought a pair. Real nice product. Casting pool was attended well. My favorite exhibits were the tying booths with all the tyers...I found my favorite Saltwater Tyer and Striped Bass Hero, Rich Murphy there. Rich was gracious enough to give me a tutorial tying my favorite pattern, a Conomo Special. Spent 30 mins with me, a true gentleman and great guy. I purchased from him a signed Limited Edition copy of his Book, Fly Fishing For Striped Bass....best book I have found for the saltwater Fly Fisherman targeting Morone Saxatillis. All in all, I loved the show and had a great time. No great deals found, but saw my tying Hero, met up with good friends, and supported a couple US based companied...all before the storm.
Best, Ron

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”