The Granger First Era rod in the middle--the DeLuxe

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

The Granger First Era rod in the middle--the DeLuxe

Post by Flyman615 »

Since there's been some interest expressed in the previous thread on the (1918-1923) Goodwin Granger First Era rods, I thought I'd offer one more discussion on the then "middle-of-the-line" DeLuxe grade.

For those of you not familiar with the early rods actually made by Goodwin Granger himself, you may be surprised by the overall design and appearance of these DeLuxe rods. Yes, the beautiful wrap pattern looks very much like the later Second Era "The Goodwin Rod(s)" and the still later Favorites. Black and white jasper silk windings framed with literally hundreds of yellow/gold intermediate wraps. And if that wasn't enough, The First Era DeLuxes also sported the most intricate signature wrap ahead of the grip check.

I'm going to begin this thread with a single distinctive DeLuxe from my collection. I have shown this rod here on the Forum before, having purchased it years ago from Hoagy Carmichael. I believe it to be an early Tournament rod. It's a 9-footer, but weighs only 5 1/4 oz. The guides show no wear at all and the rod is packed in a WWI surplus OD twill bag with a brass-capped tip tube. Note the thumb relief on the grip...perhaps among the first ever applied to a fly rod and pre-dating such on Paul Young's rods and others. Also note the dated, two-sided hang tag and the incredibly complex signature wrap above the grip..

A second DeLuxe is this well-used 9'0" 3/2 DeLuxe at 4 3/4 oz. and unbelievably original overall. Ferrules are 17/11 like later 9043s. The red varnish shows some chips and checks, but no over coats; short half Wells grip with a mild contour. This wonderful old trout rod is still straight and sound and the ferrules still produce a satisfying "pop" when disassembled.

Finally, here's a very rare 8 1/2 ft. "Light Trout" DeLuxe made, sold and used in an era dominated by much longer rods. It weighs but
4.26 oz. and has those beautiful 15/10 'waisted' ferrules. The second tip was replicated by my pal, Scott Whitman, who even found the correct male ferrule and 1915 Pat. tip top. THANKS, Scott!!

I hope you enjoy these century-old Grangers and perhaps others will surface!

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 01/24/22 15:06, edited 3 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

archer829
Guide

Re: The Granger First Era rod in the middle--the DeLuxe

Post by archer829 »

Wow! I love seeing these. Do you ever fish any of them? Jeff

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, Jeff:

I cast them all and have fished the 8 1/2 ft. DeLuxe on our small local tail water. Delightful!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Being an Orvis fan, I typically lean towards understated wraps, but I find the wrapping on these "middle" grade Grangers absolutely beautiful. Scott, thank you for sharing some of your Grangers.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

You're welcome, Joe!

But if you go back 100 years in Orvis' existence, you will find similar wrapping patterns... ;)

Scott
Flyman615

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Oh so nice.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful, Scott.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Beautiful, Scott.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Scott, all are gorgeous, but that light trout Deluxe is an exceptional stunner. The rich colored cane enhances it’s beauty even more. Is it a 4/5 wt? I really admire the full intermediates on these early versions.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Scott, thanks much for sharing these. I knew you had treasures, looks like you actually have the cave and all its contents! The mind boggles to think that you have, not one, not two, but multiple examples of First Era rods.

All the best,
Kenneth

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I agree that the light trout rod is a stunner among stunners, and to add to the question above, how would you say its action compares to the later 8642's? Thanks! Jeff

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

adrien schnee wrote:
01/24/22 22:55
Scott, all are gorgeous, but that light trout Deluxe is an exceptional stunner. The rich colored cane enhances it’s beauty even more. Is it a 4/5 wt? I really admire the full intermediates on these early versions.
Thanks Adrien and all!

Yes, that 8 1/2 ft. DeLuxe is indeed a 4/5 wt.
The taper is completely different and the action is much lighter than later 8642s, Jeff.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

finecane
Sport

Post by finecane »

1st era rods have a completely different action than those of the 2nd era and beyond. Notice in the photo below the complete lack of a swell in the butt section. These are much slower rods than later eras, but still a joy to cast!

BTW - this is a meticulously restored GD8642. Look at that signature wrap!

https://www.finecane.com

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Scott- the top rod is one of the best-looking bamboo rods I have ever seen. All of the components are beautiful.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, Munsey-

Very much appreciated!

Scott
Flyman615

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Scott,
Just beautiful and beyond special ...
If I may ask, if you fished the second 9' Deluxe, which reel would you select?
Scott, as an aside, I really like heritage and tradition. Very seldom can I find the time and opportunity to walk YNP waters. But the twice that I have had that chance, I took one rod, a Denver Special 9' (intact and restored by Michael Sinclair). I find these Grangers a joy to walk in hand and that 9' does it all with grace.
Thank you for sharing this feast for the eyes...

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hi nb:

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the reel I've used on the 9 ft. 4 3/4 oz. early DeLuxe, I've chosen a pre-1940 3 3/8" Hardy Perfect. Hope that meets your expectations too!

Scott
Flyman615

luredaddy
Sport

Post by luredaddy »

Very nice Scott !! I always enjoy seeing glimpses of your collection. John

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Always great to hear from you, John. We go back quite a few years, don't we? :)

Scott
Flyman615

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Beautiful rods and great information and insights!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”