Waders Revisited

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Random Casts
Master Guide

Waders Revisited

Post by Random Casts »

This is a continuation of a previous post regarding wader sizing.

My wife and I always buy two pairs of waders each. One pair gets used a lot and the other pair is just in case there is a failure to the first pair, especially useful on a long road trip.

Well it came time that we needed to replenish our wader horde. We ordered our long time 'S' brand waders in our usual sizes. When our orders came in we discovered that the manufacturer had increased the inseam measurement by three inches and added the same to the girth, in short the waders are too long and HUGE!

So we ordered our sizes from the 'P' brand. Same deal the waders are 3" longer than stated.

When I contacted the individual manufacturers they pretty much said that's the way it is.

So I will post a WTB for NOS 'S' brand waders with the old dimensions I trust that some one will have some to sell.

Richard
Random Casts

para_adams
Master Guide

Re: Waders Revisited

Post by para_adams »

Please let me know if you are looking to sell any barely used waders that might fit a 6'1" medium build old dude like me!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Could it be that you and wife...have shrunk?

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

This is known as size inflation or vanity sizing and is fairly common in the clothing industry, especially for women sizing. What was a size 12 is now an 8. Even men's pants are often an inch or so larger than the stated size. I guess the clothing companies are counting on their customers to buy more if they are happier about the "size" they wear. Standards don't mean as much these days, just as fly lines can be heavier than the stated size.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Simms waders lists their dimensions. My guess is that the waders you received were not correctly labeled. If they are off by 3” something is wrong.

I bought a pair of large 3 months ago, I checked they are identical to the ones I bought 2 years ago.

Give Simms a call they will help you sort this out.

John

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

BigTJ wrote:
01/25/22 00:15
Simms waders lists their dimensions. My guess is that the waders you received were not correctly labeled. If they are off by 3” something is wrong.

I bought a pair of large 3 months ago, I checked they are identical to the ones I bought 2 years ago.

John
Funny you should say that. I have been on the phone, at length, with both Simms and Patagonia. Fortunately I have both old and new waders to measure side by side that is before I send the new waders back. And I checked with other pairs of Simms waders so they are not mislabeled.

The old MSM Simms men’s waders measure 29”, by actual measurement, on the inseam. The new MSM Simms waders measure 32” and an equivalent increase in girth measurement including leg and body.

The product development team at Simms decided to change the stats a number of years ago without telling anybody including their customer service reps. Who by the way kept telling me nothing had changed. I received a phone call later from Simms confirming my suspicions.

The same goes for my wife’s waders. She wears a size SS in the older version, the newer version makes her look like the Michelin man, er woman.

In the customer contact section there is a heading that states custom wader measurements…that only refers to boot foot waders. You can get boot foot waders up to size 17.

Granted our G3s are probably 5 years old, but this newer measurement is a significant change over the previous stats.

As far as sorting things out, I was told that’s the way it is.

Rant over, but I don’t feel any better,
Richard
Random Casts

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I've recently had the opposite problem with Simms sizing. I ordered a pair of Freestone wading pants in a size that should've been on the large size of my actual measurements per their size chart. They should've easily fit with room to spare. What I received were wader pants that were vastly too small--like wearing a pair of tight jeans with an inseam that wouldn't allow them to be pulled all the way up. I could order the next size up, but it has the same 35-36 inseam, which is the longest available.

I find Simms wader size options strange. To get a wading pant that fits my waist and inseam (on paper), their only option is a 12-13 stocking foot. I wear size 10.5 shoes and Simms size 11 boots, which are a perfect fit with my size 11 Orvis & Redington waders. Simms size 12-13 is more like 11.5, so it does fit, but on the snug size of what's acceptable, which would likely result in premature wear.

The search continues...

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

I'm short legged for my waist size (lol) so I don't think I've ever had a pair of waders that's been the correct inseam length. Usually the booties are too big for my small feet as well. Could be worse though, we could still be in the age of canvas, boot foot waders, now they were a whole 'nother adventure.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Waders and often boots are the things that I try on before I buy. It's difficult but, I have 2 well stocked shops in my area and I buy from them because if I don't, they will close up. I will say that Simms and Orvis are both consistent with their sizes... a size 12 boot will fit the same as the last size 12 boot. I find Simms waders a little billowy in the butt than some others but, that is their design choice. It just the process that I think I need to do in order to get well fitting wading gear that will last me a few seasons (hopefully).

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Random Casts wrote:
01/25/22 09:05
BigTJ wrote:
01/25/22 00:15

John
Funny you should say that. I have been on the phone, at length, with both Simms and Patagonia. Fortunately I have both old and new waders to measure side by side that is before I send the new waders back. And I checked with other pairs of Simms waders so they are not mislabeled.

The old MSM Simms men’s waders measure 29”, by actual measurement, on the inseam. The new MSM Simms waders measure 32” and an equivalent increase in girth measurement including leg and body.

The product development team at Simms decided to change the stats a number of years ago without telling anybody including their customer service reps. Who by the way kept telling me nothing had changed. I received a phone call later from Simms confirming my suspicions.

The same goes for my wife’s waders. She wears a size SS in the older version, the newer version makes her look like the Michelin man, er woman.

In the customer contact section there is a heading that states custom wader measurements…that only refers to boot foot waders. You can get boot foot waders up to size 17.

Granted our G3s are probably 5 years old, but this newer measurement is a significant change over the previous stats.

As far as sorting things out, I was told that’s the way it is.

Rant over, but I don’t feel any better,
Richard
Sounds like a specific resizing on the MSM. As I said my waders men’s large hasn’t changed. Ive been using their guide waders since 1998 always a size large with the same fit. I’ve lost count but maybe 8 pair? I’ve always had excellent customer service from Simms so this sounds a little strange. Can you switch to a smaller size to get what you want? It sounds like you need to go one size down.

John

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I just received a pair of Simms G3 chest waders today, they fit exactly as stated on the Simms chart. The G3 waders are from last year (not the new 2022 version) and were at a closeout price of $399 online.

John

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I think it depends on the model and size. I wear a medium king and my newer camo G3s are noticeably slimmer than my older 6-7 year old G3s. Also my MK G4s (5 years old) are slimmer than my old G3s but not quite as slim as my camo G3s. This fall I also opted for a pair of G4Zs (which I love btw), and had to get a Large Short. My brother also got a pair. He is wears a medium, but had to get a Medium King in those. I would suggest trying them on first. But I do think the sizing has slimmed down over the years (at least in the medium), and I don’t quite understand why the medium now has the same in-seam as the large.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”