Advice on picking planning forms?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Ear4
Master Guide

Advice on picking planning forms?

Post by Ear4 »

What advice would you have for someone starting out rod building in terms of buying planing forms?

What attributes are must haves? What should I avoid?

I have generally been happy investing in quality tools and materials that help do the job well so while cost is a consideration, I am willing to pay more, to get more.

If it matters, I am planning on making 7 - 8 1/2 foot, 4 to 6 wgt hexagonal rods. Normal trout rods, not Spey rods.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sanderson
Guide

Re: Advice on picking planning forms?

Post by sanderson »

While I'm a relative beginner as well, (25 rods) I've been happy with my Bellinger forms. I know there are others, Wagner rods has some that are raved about, as well. Since it's the most important piece of equipment, I felt the same as you, buy quality. I'm sure some of the exceptional expert rod makers on this forum will share their experiences with you.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

If you are buying new forms it will be hard to go wrong with any that are made today. Bellinger, Wagner, and Swearingen are all good forms.

My preference for forms would be to buy forms that are ¾” x1-1/4” x 72. Some forms use shorter or smaller dimensional steel which had make certain sized rods more of a challenge to make. In addition look for forms that you can make smaller tips with. My first set of forms had a minimum tip depth of .035” which resulted in the smallest rods I was making had a tip of .070” which either limited the tapers I was making or resulted in me having to modify a rod to fit my forms.

While all the makers are good, if I was going to buy a new form I would buy one of the Bellinger forms. They are well made and you won’t second guess the decision. In addition I would consider buying a swell butt form. You can work around the swell to make non-swelled butt rods if you want, but you can’t make swelled butt rods on traditional forms without some modifications.

I should note that I own Bellinger and Golden Witch forms currently.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I totally agree with Jim. +1

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

+2 for the Bellinger swelled butt forms. I love mine and while I've only made two rods with swelled butts, having the option is nice.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I have a set of used Wagner swelled butt forms and they have served me quite well. I believe the hardness of the forms is the best performing part of them. I also have an old used set of Munro forms that are quite soft, but good fro rough planing and helping keep sections straight after glue-up and curing.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Just treated myself to a set of Wagner forms after wearing out two other sets. One thing that became readily apparent is the hardness of the forms. I have no idea what type of steel was used for the old sets.
The other forms I own would have small steel shavings removed all the time.

Don

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate them. After a very helpful call with Chet at Bellinger, I have ordered a set from them.

I can’t wait to start building!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”