Is this a silk line?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

red 1
Master Guide

Is this a silk line?

Post by red 1 »

Line is very thin. Looks like it has a varnish coating. Is very stiff. I tried burning a very small piece of it and could not tell if it was silk or nylon. It will have to wait for warmer weather to see how it casts. If i get incredibly bored I may run it over a peg to see if it limbers up.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is this a silk line?

Post by crowebeetle »

silk will smell like hair burning and nylon will bead up

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Looks like level casting / trolling line not designed for fly fishing. I’ve seen that braid pattern be pretty common for those types of lines. If you have a caliper check the measurements otherwise estimate dia in mm. Thin is relative - compared to standard silk lines that one looks pretty thick. If it’s much more than about 40 thou (1 mm) it’s not going to be much use for trout fly fishing. Level line actually fish pretty nice in finer diameters. It could just be the photo so measure to be sure.

A good silk line will have a taper at one or both ends to about 0.02-0.025” or about 1/2 mm. But I can’t see any evidence of a taper from the photo.

It’s also a good idea to weigh the first 30 ft of the line in grains and check it against a standard AFTMA fly line ratings to know what you have. If you don’t have one, digital scales can be had for $20 on Amazon and serve a wide variety of purposes like checking reel and rod weights.

Cheers,

John

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Crowebeetle and John. I will burn some more of it and check for a taper this weekend
Last edited by red 1 on 01/26/22 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Educated guess here, but I think 'Big' is correct. I would check to feel the line and if it is a fairly loose weave and feels "squishy" it's probably what he said.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”