Heddon 13 2F 8ft split seam or two

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

GetnThere
Guide

Heddon 13 2F 8ft split seam or two

Post by GetnThere »

Hello
I just brought a Heddon #13 8ft 2F.
I want it to fish with. It has one noticeable open glue line or split about 4 inches and probably a second one hidden under the varnish difficult to see but varnish looks stressed. It's the middle piece by the bottom male furrell. See pics. I haven't unwrapped it yet but heard about the furrells being pinned. It's a 3/2. Unfortunately I didn't notice it when I bought it but at 100 still seems worth it, going to have to be. I had planned on replacing all the furrells anyway and the guides are junk, cork good, seat cracked.
Thus, best course of action...
Remove wrapping and look for pin and heat n pull off furrell?
Is it possible the pin is in the male bottom part? Metal is pitted but the mark looks incredibly round like a pin. Pic won't show it.
Thanks, crossing fingers.

GetnThere
Guide

Re: Heddon 13 2F 8ft split seam or two

Post by GetnThere »

Biggest opening is at 3 inch mark.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

It was pinned. I managed to remove the pin and the furrell came right off no heat needed. Obviously the glue was dried out. The split does not go all the way to the end.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Good work getting the ferrule unpinned. It can be tough. Getting the open seam to close will also be a challenge. I, and others, like to use pleating pins to open up the seam as much as possible. Titebond III and some strong cord to bind it up. do a search for better advice.

Jay Edwards

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Hi Jay,
I did a search found the same answer you gave. If I open up the split won't it just keep splitting? Should I either water down the Tipbon glue so it flows more or how about thinning with isopropyl alcohol?

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

it's unlikely to keep splitting, if it does just open it up until it stops.. if the glue is so weak as to allow splitting then it needs to be reglued anyway..
see, viewtopic.php?f=66&t=114667

the Titebond at a comfortable room temperature, 70 or so, flows quite well. I used a toothpick to push it into the smaller cracks on the repair of a Sharpes rod, wrapped with waxed dental floss until set, then did a series of intermediate wraps for reinforcement over the section. That's held up for several years now.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, +1 for Doug K. Water to thin....

Jay Edwards

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to get new titebond glue, waterproof, as my glue is old. I'll post how it went when I'm done.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

As I will be stripping the old varnish off the rod what's the best way to handle the "Heddon" inscription? Clean it all down to the bamboo just leave the inscription or take good pictures clean it all and redo the inscription? I do want to make the rod fishable but won't rule out a future possible sale - tradeup.

The furrells could be reusable but they have some pitting. Thus what furrells would you recommend? Not a restoration rod just a redo fishable rod.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Using a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and rolling over the ink works. Be careful not to smudge.

Jay Edwards

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Do not try to re-do the ink. Preserve it. Those signatures are a lot of what makes a Heddon a Heddon.

Post pics of the ferrules keep the originals if at all possible.

John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Upon taking a pic of "Heddon" I found another open seam right at the swell. Being to wonder weather $100 was worth it or not. The ferrules could be usable very tight. I did polish the guides alittle, see pics. I would like to keep the rod in close to it's original look but with more guides-finish by guides is gone bare bamboo showing. Will the rod still perform well with its original guide placements? At least that would eliminate blank ghosting, miscoloration.
I planned on gorilla glue finish as that has worked out well for me in the past.
I haven't been able to cast the rod yet so I'm not sure how it well perform. My other fixed rods are SoBend & Monty 8.5 n 9 footers

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The ferrules look fine. Just need rebluing . I prefer using varnish on old rods like this. But GG will protect it fine. Please try to save that lovely signature.

Add 2-3 extra guides. Nitrocellulose lacquer is a great color preserver for Heddon wraps.

The delays should be fine.

A killer 8’ 6 wt for $100 and some TLC? What’s not to like about that?

John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Hi John,
Thank you for your instruction and insights.

I haven't cast a decent bb rod yet. I went to the "Fly Fishing Show" last week and held a few bb rods but didn't cast any. I didn't feel right asking to cast a rod I couldn't afford to buy. I saw George Daniels cast and wow way better than any YouTube video. I now rate myself as a poor caster. Another vendor gentleman actually took me on the side and helped me with my casting. That was a pretty incredible day.

I do have marine spar varnish, tung oil, terpintine, but I don't know the mixture % to use. GG is lightweight. Being I do want to save the signature what type of finish will best match the original rod color? The finish is light not over varnished like my SBs.

I've searched the sight but didn't find any Heddon with this rods wrapping colors, seems to be dark gold or light olive with black tipping. All I found was orange. BTW the tube says "James Heddon's Sons Dowagiac Michigan" if that helps at all.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Update!!!
Here are some pictures of my glued up joints.

Upon removing the wrapping on the tips one is completely opened. Frankly this one might be easier to fix because I can get the glue in there without a problem. The other two didn't close as well as I hoped. I used a shot from my aircompressor to help get the glue in further but not sure if it helped or not.
Any additional instruction on this opened up section would be welcome.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Your rod completely delaminated, it didn't just have a split seam. I don't think the glue will set up right without binding cord, and the rest of the section could delaminate at any time. If the other sections are sound, at this point I'd probably look for a donor butt section. Getting that blank where it should be is going to be a lot of work.

If you ever re-glue a butt section again do some research online on how to properly bind up with binding cord. A single clamp like shown in the picture wont' do the job.

-John

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

apologies
Last edited by JoeBolt on 02/06/22 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

+1
Last edited by JoeBolt on 02/06/22 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

An air compressor isn’t the right tool for gluing a fly rod. You risk starving a joint. Need sufficient glue then clamp appropriately with binding cord.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

apologies for non productive posts
Last edited by JoeBolt on 02/06/22 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”