Heddon 13 2F 8ft split seam or two

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

GetnThere
Guide

Re: Heddon 13 2F 8ft split seam or two

Post by GetnThere »

Seems there are too many things going on with this rod. My communications got a little mixed up.

So recap:

1. But section had one split about 3 inches long and was glued and held with a C clamp. There's no way a wrap would have brought this section together.

2. Mid section had a single open split as well n was glued and C clamped. A wrap would not have been able to close this opening either.

3. A new find, pineapple?, a tip section. I've not glued this section yet. This was the piece I was asking help on.

Based on comments above thus section will be glued and requires string wrapping like a new build rod would need. So glue, wrap with string and roll on glass surface to insure its straight. The but n tip section are still together. When I take out the pieces the rod sits straight on its own, let's hope it makes gluing n binding easy. As an earlier post mentioned..I did try and continue opening up the seam but it stopped hard as picture shows. Luckily I have a second tip in good condition.

That should clear things up.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Sorry to chime in. Way too cheeky
Last edited by JoeBolt on 02/06/22 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Getnthere- yeah if the strips are coming apart the best thing is to delam and reglue. I suppose you could just glue that one small section but I’d be worried about the integrity of the glue in the rest of the rod especially considering you have delams elsewhere. The strips have to be cleaned up if you do delam and reglue it completely. That takes some skill and the right tools to do righT. Might be at the point where it isn’t worth it, just fish the other tip. As far as string closing off the gap on the butt we will never know however you would be surprised what kind of a gap string can close up.

JoeBolt - you seem like a nice guy with kind intentions. However from my perspective there is nothing fortunate about a rod broken on a fish. A lot of other people probably think the same.

Cheers,

John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

There are plenty of people in our world, some of which I eliminate connections with.

How could I delaminate, the entire tip section?

If that goes well I would even consider delaminating the entire rod.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The tip was glued with hide glue. So if you scrape off the varnish you can soak it in water it will come apart. The water will not hurt the bamboo. You can soak them in a pvc tube.

To get the strips fully cleaned off to provide a good surface to Re glue they have to be lightly scraped or sanded it’s not easy to do and not chip or round the edges. I’ve done it carefully in a planing form. Not for the feint of heart.

A single tip rod will serve you just fine so keep that in mind when making your decision.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

As I have another tip I'm OK with giving it a chance. How would I make or get a 60 degree V wedged piece of metal to scrap off the old glue.

What if I took two razor blades and welded them in a 60 degree wedge? Where do I get the 60 degree wedge to start with?

Why does Tom Morgan list his cutter at 60.5 degrees?

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Why would you need a 60 degree piece of metal? Once the sections are delaminated, let them dry. Then scrape clean using a flat scraper, plane blade or whatever works. Scrape one flat at a time. Its a simple process but takes some time.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

OK wasn't aware it would be that simple. Time consuming and careful I can do.

The butt section seems to be alright. I flexed the butt section 360 degrees and all was well. I can't find the pin on the butt section ferrule and heat didn't work either. It's not lose so I'll leave it as is.

The middle section is still in the clamp for now.

Thanks everyone for your help I'll keep posting as I progress.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

If you don’t have a planing form you can use a router to mill a 60 degree groove in a piece of MDF. Otherwise it’s a bit hard to hold the strips to scrape them, but still doable.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Well upon unclamping the middle section another seam opened up. Probably a good thing to get them all taken care of before I continue. The first seam glued up pretty good and here's a picture of the second one. Per your recommendation I used wrapping. It looks really good I can't even see which is the open seam. At least not with the glue and wraps.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

You are getting it. Good luck with the rest.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

I just finished delaminated the second tip in hot water. Unfortunately one piece came apart ware the guidefoot rusted the bamboo. The bamboo was a bit soft there and I'd guess wouldn't have held up anyway. I'll let the pieces dry out then reglue anyway, good practice and who knows it just might hold. It certainly can't hurt. I wrapped the end pieces so I would know where or the order they belong in.

I couldn't get the female ferrules off so I just left them and couldn't see a pin. Still waiting for the middle section to dry. I'm hanging it over the heat deduct,lol. I'll give it a few days just because.

I didn't use the air compressor and wouldn't recommend it. Just use wrapping thread to get the glue into the ends and put the thread in before you glue because it way more difficult after the glue.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

I have removed all the male ferrules. I will reattach them using Philo glue. Should I re pin them or leave it go?
My thoughts are to omit them so I don't have to bother with the pin being misseated and possibly ruining the female ferrules. It will also be easier for removal in the future. Did I just answer my own question.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I would opt out of re-pinning the ferrules. Keep it simple works most of the time. As long as your using a good epoxy should be fine. Why couldn't you get the female ferrules off? There's a chance the blank is delaminated underneath the ferrule and you may miss this if your not removing these.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys Heddon typically pinned the ferrules in the area that has been ground off under the ferrule wrap. The pin can be really tough to find, or not. If it ain't broke applies, I think. But, if you need it out.

viewtopic.php?p=923285&hilit=removing+f ... in#p923285

viewtopic.php?p=877753&hilit=removing+f ... in#p877753

Hell, , a gadget is even involved!

Jay Edwards

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Thanks again for the help. After I removed the wrapping the female ferrules were rough sanded and put on the rod. I couldn't find the pin. However they were lose and not in fishable condition. So I fine sanded and polished the ferrules until the pins eventually showed themselves. Remember that last sentence, other wise others might just cut the ferrules off or risk grinding them off. In order to punch out the ferrules I just sharpen a nail and gave it a light tap then pulled it out with pliers. That was a lot of work but they're out. At least the ferrules look great with all that polishing, I did the entire ferrule. I cleaned up the bamboo and inside of the ferrules, glued them with Philo glue. Glue instructions say 7 days for full cure. So I have yet to cast the rod and plan on taping the guides on and casting this weekend. Ah waiting and patience my favorite virtue, not, just necessary.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Does anyone know the original thread color of this Heddon rod. See thread pictures. The stripper guide is red. Reel seat picture as well. Best I can tell the aged varnish turned the color golden the underneath thread color appears white clearish. Would red nylon and black tipping be an acceptable change? The ferrules as I understand it should be black blue would black thread be acceptable instead?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Looking at the hook keeper wrap in a photo higher up in the post, it looks more of a tan not a red. Looks to me like YLI 50 wt #183, Belding Corticelli #5430, or Tire #19. Tip with YLI 100 wt black. PM Eastprong on this board he might have the Belding Corticelli, or order the other threads online. Use nitorcellulouse lacquer as color preserver, it's readily available online. 3 coats, ensure you get it down the guide tunnels from underneath to prevent bleed-through.

Also is there any kind of a grade listed on the rod, it would be a # followed by a number, if you can give us that we can check to be 100% sure.

Good luck,

-John

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Yes it's a #13 8ft 2f. Thank you for the thread colors. Tan sounds a lot better than the yellow I thought it was. I didn't see any tan when I searched the site. I brought up a bunch of thread at the fly fishing show but not tan,lol.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I don’t have access to my Sinclair book to confirm the correct thread. Hopefully somebody will respond. If not start another thread or search the archives.

John

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”