Best Modern Fly Reel Under $500

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Re: Best Modern Fly Reel Under $500

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Wait time is currently four months on new orders . I have three months left to wait… fortunately I have a couple of bamboos as backups , since trout season in the south starts in March. At least for me..

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Reels with 'high end drag' for anything below 6 weight for trout puzzles me

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

iBookje I agree , but the recent trend towards disc over click in reels 3-5 proves the market is growing … and reel manufacturers are listening. Personally I’ve used old school English made Orvis Reels for forty years and never lost a fish due to lack of drag or reel failure. Every fish I’ve lost is either human error or when using a small barbless hook .

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I am liking the disc drags. For one, I don’t have to spend a morning or two each year cleaning my reels. I also am keeping the drags a bit tighter than with the adjustable check systems, as a result I am fighting fish faster. One thing with the Sage is that it has numbers for each indexed drag setting. As a result, I can really fine tune how tight I can keep it for each tippet size.

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Ffftroutbum , both valid points concerning the advantages of disc drags . I have traditionalist leanings but the disc over click trend has the momentum currently. I don’t think clicks will ever totally go away, but no doubt those using them will be an increasingly smaller number going forward.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Brook, there are several nice looking LA clickers. I think of the prettier ones is the Ross Colorado. Some folks love the Sage LA clicker and the Galvan Brookie as well. I still think that regular arbor reels are prettier than most of the LA models. But a few of the skeletonized Ross models are not too shabby looking. And, Brook, don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy my Perfects, Lightweights, Marquis, and CFOs.

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Troutbum, I totally agree old Orvis English made CFO’s have been my bread and butter for forty years, I love them. They’re simple and work , like all good tools. The folks at Tom Morgan are big on the Ross Colorado as well… so I’m sure it’s a fine reel.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

If you are set on a modern large arbor then the Galvan reels are a fine choice. The thing I like about their drag system is that it is the smoothest and most adjustable,particularly on the light end of the spectrum for, well, trout fishing. I have a set of their early Standard model reels (no longer made) that have that same drag with a classic style. None of them scream like a Hardy though!

That said I fish more classic Hardy's and CFO's than anything else anymore.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

I agree caneghost Galvin seems to be universal praised for there drag system and overall design. But I’ll never let go of my old English CFO’s .. smooth and reliable.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

There are so many good reels for trout, so it is about you eyes and what appeals to you.

One name not mention is Danielsson out of Sweden.

For trout, I have used for decades Hardy Princess, but work likely to go for a large arbor now for reason of bend radius. My last trout reel purchases was a VRD and Danielsson Midge.

For Salt, Salmon, Steelhead and Spey using Danielsson and earlier Nautilus CCFs. I also have Islander (Permit, 9wt), Einarsson (Bonefish, 8wt) and an Abel SDS (Tarpon, 11wt). I want LA for retrieval and open spool to do a quick rinse at the end of the day.

All good, but best value under 500 for trout - Daniellson and VRD.

Only reels I stopped using were Speyco (starup interia) , Waterworks (plastic clicker and fine line catch in spool)).

I have been using Danielsson, Islander, Hardy since the 90s. The Nautilus for 15+ years.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Brooktrout3333 wrote:
02/03/22 11:54
Good insight into the shootout scores for Bozeman Reels. I also agree PYochim on the function of a drag system.
yes, pyokum is correct. the resistance is primarily to prevent "birdnest" backlashes while reducining excessive strain on the tippet; not to stop a freight train or the neighbors tomcat.
regards jim w

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Excellent discussion gentleman… very
Good and informative insight ! Thanks so much ..

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

If you can find one, then my pick would be either a mint/new Abel Super 4N reel at 3.25” and a really nice match for a 8’6” graphite 4 or 5 weight; or a Waterworks-Lamson Force SL Series II in size -3+ (used to be size 1 until they renamed the sizes a few years ago), slightly bigger than the Abel at 3.5” (despite what Waterworks say it is not 3.8”)

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Thank you !

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I favor Hardy JLH and Orvis CFO reels. The

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

CFOs and Ross Colorado LTs on 5wts and under. Mirage LT on my 6 & 8 wts. The big mirage LT IV spooled up is right at $600.

Morten

Post by Morten »

I only use disc drags for cold salt. I have used various Danielssons, Galvan Torque, and Lamson. Danielssons are by far the best reels, in all aspects!, with Galvan not far behind. That said, a black Galvan Torque would look nice on your new rod.

windy

Post by windy »

Does anybody else suspect, as I do, that "best" and "modern" are mutually exclusive terms?
windy

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

https://www.vr-reels.com/trutta-perfetta-alluminum/

Vlad's Trutta Perfetta is glorious and under $500 direct from the maker.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

If modern , all the suggestions made so far would do nicely , Galvan & Ross would be a great option , however , the suggestion for the Hardy LRH would top my list , a Classic for a Classic , Abel made CFO if you’re sticking with USA made stuff , not so much modern , just a single humble opinion fitting for a Morgan … Have fun with your choice …?

Return to “General discussion”