Favorite field watch

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

RymanType
Guide

Favorite field watch

Post by RymanType »

Well it seems my second Orvis watch in 6-7 years has finally bit the dust. First was the Orvis Chronograph and now the Orvis Field Watch. For the money they have both certainly been great I just hate change and having to shop for something new.
Curious to learn what you preferred field watch would be, I prefer black dial.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Favorite field watch

Post by PYochim »

Rolex Date in stainless steel.

Last edited by PYochim on 02/04/22 20:19, edited 2 times in total.

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

Timex Expedition, inexpensive, tough, long lasting and very accurate

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I gone through a pile of watches and I mean a pile.

My dad’s Hamilton saw him through WWII, Arnhem through into Germany, but didn’t survive the rigors of my teen age abuse.

This is my watch of the last 52 yrs. It has been totaled three times and rebuilt by the folks at Rolex.

Richard, the still ticking Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

jalberts1 wrote:
02/03/22 21:38
Timex Expedition, inexpensive, tough, long lasting and very accurate
That's the one I like too.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Another vote for the Expedition--but I paid $30 for my Timex Indiglo twenty years ago, and it's been just as good.

Mistermike
Sport

Post by Mistermike »

Any small to medium size Casio digital watch. Inexpensive, light, accurate, waterproof, and the batteries last for years. I can't recommend the Timex Indiglo because I can barely get a year out of the battery. I also have a number of mechanical watches that I can appreciate but keeping them going is a pain because it's increasingly difficult to find competent watchmakers.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

In the days before smartphones I wore a Timex Expedition. Inexpensive and bulletproof.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Any watch with a Swiss Movement or a classic old Hammy. Seiko Diver's are pretty nice too.

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

I retired on July 3rd in 2002 and that night took my Seiko watch that my wife had given me many years before and put it away in my dresser drawer.

I celebrated Independence Day the next day on July the 4th and haven't worn a watch since. Found that you really can get along without one.

fishrising
Guide

Post by fishrising »

“Classic field” watch, any automatic with a black face and stainless steel bracelet. Modern day, I love my Garmin Fenix 6x Pro Solar.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

My favorite watch is an orange seiko diver. It is called the orange monster. Today they have several variations of this. A relatively inexpensive, very dependable, waterproof watch.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Had to glance at my wrist to be sure but it's a Timex Expedition for me as well. I've had it for a number of years now and just changed the battery a few days ago. The best feature is when I look at it I don't have to ask my wife how does this damn thing work and yes I'm a dinosaur.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I am back to a mechanical watch, this one a real bargain on Ebay.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Assuming you are asking about a traditional style field watch, I often wear this one from Military Watch Co. it is a quartz version of the old Hamilton/Benrus. Accurate, very easy to read, with a slim profile which slides easily under shirt sleeves in a way that some of my other watches don’t.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a modern Hamilton automatic of the same pattern but this one works so well I just have not gone there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Thanks all for the suggestions. My dad enjoys his Timex Expedition also
Ear4, that is the exact design I am looking for. Great looking watch. Are the luminous hands fairly easy to read on into the night?
No one has any experience with the Bulova Hack watch?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

This Citizen Eco-Drive has been my field watch since 2015:

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/tech ... drive.html

It's a discontinued model, but similar watches are available:
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... s-ecodrive

It's robust and the lume is great. I have too many watches, but I find myself increasingly using this for more than outdoor pursuits. It's a great travel watch.

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

This one is stylish, waterproof, and durable.
Been my "field watch" for the past 8-9 years...

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I like watches but don't have any super expensive ones. I do own an old Omega I got from my dad and a very nice, hard to find Seiko dress watch the "Cocktail Time". I have a 20 year old Hamilton auto field watch I bought for myself years ago but I hardly wear it. Doesn't keep good time.

My every day watch is a Garmin Fenix 5X. Yes, expensive but it also serves as my bike computer, GPS navigation, health monitor with heart beat sensor, etc. Over-all, it does everything well and it's waterproof and extremely rugged. That said, you stated you're looking for a "Field Watch". I read that to mean not a digital but a mechanical or analog looking dial.

I have purchased a few watches from these guys and they are very good, very knowledgeable, have various configurations for the watches they sell and have any kind of a band or other accutrement you could possibly want or need for a watch. They have quite a few field watches spread across a few brands (Seiko, Citizen, Bertucci, etc). Their own in-house brand "Islander" are very good also, especially for the money. I like these guys because they give you all of the specs for each watch including the movement (which you can look up and find out where it is made):

https://longislandwatch.com/shop/?search=field+watch

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

If you're not into mechanical watches, I second the Citizen eco drive as a not-too-pricey option. They make a few different "field watch" styles. No battery changes ever. I've had one of their chronographs for 15 years and it still works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Driv ... 7408&psc=1

The band isn't the greatest, but that's easily replaced.

The Citizen Promaster is a more rugged option. Also solar powered.

https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/citizen ... o_shopping

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”