Favorite field watch

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Favorite field watch

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Casio....., but I do own, but never wear an Orvis watch.

Jay Edwards

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I lived by looking at a watch for most of my life. Haven't worn one in about twenty years.

Now I check where the sun's at or if really need to know my cell phone.
Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 02/05/22 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

An Omega Seamaster. My brother gave it to me. I love it.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I used to wear a watch all the time years ago, but have not foe at least 15-20 years. I must admit that I really miss wearing one, so heading back in this direction. Thanks for the thread, very helpful to me moving forward.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

My field watch, only works out in the field
tt

------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

i've worn mostly .Seiko 5's automatics for the past 30 years, plus a seiko titanium currently. walmart cheapies work til they don't. seiko's have been dependable for me.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Hard to pick just one. Like a few of you, I am partial to Sieko divers, especially vintage ones:

I also like mechanicals, such as Omegas--the Speedmaster in particular, and also the 120 Seamaster Diver:

I'm also partial to vintage Bulova Devil Divers:

For quartz watches, the Casio Diver is really bulletproof, and only costs about $50--a good watch to wear on a trip where you're worried about loss.

bb

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I look and then go anyway.

Life is short.

Go fish.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

I do collect some high end automatic watches but not for fishing use. For a good solid field watch I love my Swiss Army Wenger. Quartz , Swiss Made, Stainless case, easy to read with good loom. Not very much money & easy to find .

bamboo....mike

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Thanks Mike
I really like that Swiss option. Will certainly look into these

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

My ‘69 Speedy is my favorite. I tip my glass to guys who take their Rolies and Omegas fishing. I wouldn’t think of it.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
02/04/22 11:44
This Citizen Eco-Drive has been my field watch since 2015:

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/tech ... drive.html

It's a discontinued model, but similar watches are available:
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... s-ecodrive

It's robust and the lume is great. I have too many watches, but I find myself increasingly using this for more than outdoor pursuits. It's a great travel watch.
I agree and love my CITIZEN Eco-Drive watches!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

mtn
Master Guide

Post by mtn »

It's hard to beat the Timex Indiglo, cheap, takes a beating and the Indiglo really lights up the dial, so much better than my old Casio G shock. I do wear a watch when I camp but not fishing. Time does not matter when I'm fishing.
Mike

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Wait? What? I thought we go to the field to forget time, no? :)

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Here is a picture of the MWC illuminated. I have not timed how long it will glow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

When I retired, I knew no one was getting me a watch, so I decided to splurge on one for myself. Very easy to read, bright at night, automatic, handmade in the US (except the movement). I do take it fishing.
Last edited by spruce grouse on 02/06/22 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I wore mechanical watches for years but a good watch winder costs more than a watch, and after going through a few cheap ones I finally gave up. I sold my Seiko Bullhead chronograph for about four times what I paid for it in 1971 and all the others except my father's 1940's Bulova and bought an Eco-drive chrono for everyday wear. Now that I've retired I don't even put it on most days. I have a beautiful Longines Dolce Vita chrono for "dress" that gets worn even less. My hunting watch is a cheap field watch from Cabela's; for fishing I have one of those Dakota clip-on watches on my bag. Are they as cool as mechanical watches? Probably not. Are they less trouble? Way.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

The Eco-Drive Citizen is very interesting. Like the concept charged by light.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Many great suggestions already, though many of them not fitting the "classic field watch" dogma. Two micro-brands that I am impressed with in the category are:

https://www.vaerwatches.com/
https://www.kuoe-en.com/

No personal experience with either, but they each offer a great deal of value for the money.
Don

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

I'm a bit of a mechanical watch fan and user. Here are a few that have been serving me well.

A Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical is about as "field watch" as they come. This one is a hand winder, but auto and quartz models have been available if that's the way you tick. On the stream I'd have this on a Nato. But for kicking back with a book, a forum, or some tackle, leather works nicely.

Not a field watch, but this Marathon Arctic MSAR sees a lot of time in local fields and creeks. Unlike many dive watches this one measures in at only 36mm - I'm a little guy and that works for me, but larger versions are available as well. Supposedly originally designed for the Canadian Rangers and arctic search and rescue, it also performs well fumbling through the woods and streams of New Mexico.

In the shop, it's usually a Seiko diver (sorry, another dive watch). This SKX has timed varnishing steps of every rod I've made over the past five or so years. And elastic parachute straps make sure no rough planed strips get away.

Brandon, you asked about the Bulova Hack. I've been mistreating one for about a year now - it's the watch I wear in streams where a tumble or scramble is likely. It's taken a few taps and seems to be none the worse for wear. I only have two very minor issues with it.

1. The movement is noisy. Nothing too objectionable but you do hear the rotor doing its thing. But once you start doing your thing, and stop listening to your watch, it's a non-issue.

2. The seconds hand is dark chrome. I don't get that. Just seems that if the watch has a seconds hand it should be visible. Oh well, seconds don't matter that much in my fishing.

Best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”