Your other interests or hobbies

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: Your other interests or hobbies

Post by Godfroy »

Arubey wrote:
05/23/22 14:33

Beautiful work, Paul - especially the last two rando/all road bikes!
Thank you, Andy, for your kind comments. The last one is my own bike (the others went to friends and family), which is why I never got around to putting my name on the unpainted stainless steel frame.

Since last year I have been making bamboo rods and my bike frame-building tools, like lathes and milling machine and even propane torch (not the oxy-propane), have all helped with this. I have found the cane work (building nodeless) much easier than I anticipated but I wish I could produce a rod which looks as fine as yours do.

Paul.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

Godfroy wrote:
05/23/22 16:21

... my bike frame-building tools, like lathes and milling machine and even propane torch (not the oxy-propane), have all helped with this.
It works the other way around as well! My repair stand holds varnishing dip tubes.

Beautiful lug work, and the polished SS stays on the smaller frame are a nice touch.

Best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

herkileez wrote:
05/23/22 15:11
Hellmtflies wrote:
05/23/22 09:43
herkileez wrote:
05/22/22 11:10
A few years ago, my wife and I discovered pickleball, to keep us busy during the "off-season". We now play year-round and love it.
A really fun game. My wife was at one time a rated tennis player, but knee replacement and shoulder issues prevented her from continuing that game. So, she tried pickle ball and loved it. I have since began to play it and have found it to be quite fun. It does cut into my golf and gym time though. :) I do find the time to get in my trout fishing and bird hunting as well. :D Gotta love retirement. 8)
I try to play Mon/Wed/Fri...(and limp Tues/Thurs/Sat)...while waiting for fishing to start.
Retirement is the best job I never had...
X2!!! Ain't retirement grand! :D Never been busier in my life and it's awesome!!!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Arubey wrote:
05/23/22 21:05
Godfroy wrote:
05/23/22 16:21

... my bike frame-building tools, like lathes and milling machine and even propane torch (not the oxy-propane), have all helped with this.
It works the other way around as well! My repair stand holds varnishing dip tubes.

Beautiful lug work, and the polished SS stays on the smaller frame are a nice touch.

Best,
Andy
That is a great looking workshop. I wonder if there is a fishing equivalent of Campagnolo?
Paul.

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

Looking for Bigfoot....

Tom

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

8) In the same vein, "Stay'n alive, stay'n alive, ah, ah, ah, ah, stay'n aliiivvvee. FUN thread folks! What's a Bigfoot? 8)

406tom
Guide

Post by 406tom »

jhuskey wrote:
06/20/22 16:37
8) In the same vein, "Stay'n alive, stay'n alive, ah, ah, ah, ah, stay'n aliiivvvee. FUN thread folks! What's a Bigfoot? 8)
Bigfoot is that creepy feeling like someone is watching you while you're fishing alone way up a small creek or when the hair starts to rise on your neck for no reason : )

Tom

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Thanks, everyone, for making this such an enjoyable thread!
Last edited by archer829 on 08/30/22 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I like shooting trap with my vintage trap guns and messing with guitars and banjos...

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

prairieschooner wrote:
06/22/22 09:55
I like shooting trap with my vintage trap guns...
That's a beautiful Ithaca...

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
06/22/22 16:28
That's a beautiful Ithaca...
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

johan851

Post by johan851 »

Everyone here is very interesting. I'm in the thick of raising young kids, so almost every hobby but fishing has taken a back seat. Even time for that has been a struggle! Previously I've dabbled in computer-related hobbies, photography, shooting, and backpacking. Now that that kids are old enough for short backpacks I've been picking that one up again. Of course, the goal of any backpack in my mind is to fish the alpine lakes and creeks at the top...

PAGene
Sport

Post by PAGene »

In the last 20 to 25 years I have be interested in genealogy and scriptology (the collection of stock certificates) always be interested in civil war, WWI and WWII history and now after my wife past I got into fly tying. I have been fly fishing since 1976 so my late wife tolerated that, but she also always called my stock collecting, old expensive worthless paper. She would be surprised on what my worthless old paper in now worth in Europe what the hobby is really big.
Gene

stufit1

Post by stufit1 »

Wildlife photography and shooting.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

Working on my Jeep, woodworking, restoring bamboo rods, working on, doing mods to my BMW 330i.

Blacked out side marker lights, changed the rear end gear ratio.

Painted my Jeeps hood. The seller had done a poor rattle can paint job. I did a better one. I've also had the front/rear diff ratios changed, installed a 2.5 " lift and dropped the transfer case.

Bambooisnew

Post by Bambooisnew »

Precision reloading for a .223 Wylde rifle I built myself. Target shooting. Camping and fishing. I was into old custom Ford's for ages and drag racing but kind of burned out on that. I'm starting to narrow down my interests to just a few things that are all outdoor related.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Original poster here. Thanks again for making this such an enjoyable thread! Just for fun, I thought I'd post an updated picture of my project…

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Very impressive! Thankyou for showing it.

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Oh my! I admire (and envy) your skills.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

That rifle is absolutely stunning. Truly a work of art.

Return to “Members Corner”