If you can only keep one rod?

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Brooktrout3333
Sport

If you can only keep one rod?

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

Am I crazy ? I have collected fly rods for over forty years, most built by some of Americans best Rodsmiths. Many bamboo, a few in SGlass and graphite. But if the time came that I could only keep One rod, and had to fish only my home waters ( NC\ Tenn- Blue Ridge) I would pick my old and cheap graphite Orvis Far and Fine 7’9” 5 Wt. The rod built in 1989 was a couple hundred of dollars, one- tenth the cost of most of my bamboo rods . Don’t get me wrong many of my bamboo cast great and are beautiful, I’d really miss a few of them . The same for SGlass , their feel especially in 3/4 Wt is something special. Sure an extra foot on occasion would be nice . A 3 weight instead of 5 would be much better on small brookie creeks . But if it came down to One … Orvis Graphite Far & Fine it would be. What’s yours ?

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: If you can only keep one rod?

Post by Eric Peper »

If I could only keep one rod, I'd probably go back to golf in a big way. AT least I'd have 14 clubs. :=)
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

My Orvis Rocky Mountain is a lesser adorned version of the Far and FIne. It is the easiest casting rod I own, quite remarkable. There are many good rods in my storage area but none are as versatile as this one.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

If I could only keep "one" I would put three favorites in a 2" dia. tube!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Brooktrout3333
Sport

Post by Brooktrout3333 »

You guys are too funny … but I do agree the Old Orvis Rocky Mt Far & Fine is a very versatile and sweet casting rod.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Winston 8 foot 5 weight pre-IM6 for the graphites, for the bamboos, that’s yet to be determined.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

I don't have a favorite yet. Hopefully my 1st bamboo self made rod will be "that rod" but chances are, per discussion hear, that it won't turn out that great. Reality anything is fishable and I like the top 2 sections of a 3 section fiberglass rod attached to a handle I made. Go figure.lol

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

I now possess some baker-dozen cane rods--- and sold/disposed of more b4 this; so if I could one keep one fly rod, regardless of its composition, it would be one of my Orvis cane Battenkills... They can do everything I ask of them and never ask for anything from me...

Ed

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Could we possibly be allowed just one more... unforseen accidental breakage fly rod.

I never go anywhere without a backup...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Eric Peper wrote:
02/14/22 11:15
If I could only keep one rod, I'd probably go back to golf in a big way. AT least I'd have 14 clubs. :=)
I always compare fishing in a bass boat in a tournament like golf. You don't go out with a driver and a putter to play 18 holes. Well, I suppose Tiger could now that he's back.

I'd go with the last Gnome rod I have left, a 7'9" Penta 3/4 weight that comes alive with a Wullf 3wt Longbelly. I'd keep a lot of my standard gear for bass and catfish but the Penta would handle everything else.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Rick Robbins "Steeves 726" 7' 2/2 5 wt. This is my choice among all my rods to the OP question.

However, if there was a fire in my house and I could only grab one rod and loose all the others forever, it would be between two rods, Bill Critchfield 7'3" 2/2 5 wt and Radivoj Savli, jan96 in this forum, 7'3" 3/2 4/5 wt. Both rods are very unique and would not be possible to replicate them. It would be easier to replace Rick Robbins' rod....

If I had to sell all my rods (for economic reasons), these three would be the last ones advertised in the Classifieds.

Tight Lines

Don fleming

Post by Don fleming »

I do love my sage 5wt,for feel and casting my trout or salmon flies

WINDCHEATER

Post by WINDCHEATER »

SAGE RP OR RPL--9' 4PC 4 0R 5WT

CAUGHT MANY TROUT AND A FEW LANDLOCKS ON THESE RODS

mwleapjr

Post by mwleapjr »

I'm sure you meant one graphite, one glass, and one bamboo fly rod, right?! In which case, I would select:
graphite - Sage RPLX 9' 7 wt for my tailwater fishing for both trout and striped bass and for snook on SW Florida trips
glass - Fenwick Feralite 8' 6 wt for bream fishing
bamboo - W&M Stream & Lake 8642 5 wt for mountain trout streams (along of course with my Granger 8642 which matches it ferrule wise for that must have back up as wisely pointed out!)
Fun posts. Thanks.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

8’3” 5 wt custom Hexagraph, built by the late Walton Powell.

After that, we get into toss-up territory. My 5’ 10.25 Farlow one piece was fabulous, but I recently gave it to Mike Watriss of Great Feathers. I love my Cortland 6.5 foot cane rod and my 7 foot glass Scott 3 wt.

And, of course , there is a list of wants should I win the lottery.

Phil13
Guide

Post by Phil13 »

Geez, you mean I’ve spent all this time and money trying to make a bamboo rod when I just coulda’ bought a Sage? Now, ya tell me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Hmmmm. As much as I love my Grangers it's a toss up between these two rods.

Lancaster Savage River(PHY Driggs taper) or 8' 2 piece 6wt from GLOOMIS IM6 I built in the 90's.

thegreek
Sport

Post by thegreek »

Even though I have several great rods, my choice is easy: a George Maurer Starlight Creek Special 764-3/2. Here in the Driftless, the Starlight Creek rod excels in every facet of my fishing day, including fond memories of Harry Middleton and George Maurer.

Kono
Sport

Post by Kono »

Well it is all about are in it to kill fish or for the sport of it.. to kill stick with the Orvis. for sport and excitement go with Bamboo. I put away my graft rods years ago and went back to Bamboo. now I look for the real old ones 100 to 150 years old they will really put your skills to the test.
Bob

Return to “General discussion”