Goodwin Granger GS1062 - Stolen/Lost in Transit of Fed Ex Feb 6, 2022

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

jimmymac448

Goodwin Granger GS1062 - Stolen/Lost in Transit of Fed Ex Feb 6, 2022

Post by jimmymac448 »

Hi,
I'm sending out an announcement to everybody to be on the lookout for a early Granger GS1062 fly rod. It was being shipped from San Diego to Denver by Fed Ex, and only an empty tube was delivered. Sunday Feb 6, at 10:06AM. The rod is quite rare, with early sliding band reel seat, fat cork grip, all sections full length, tip protector, two damaged snake guides, dark older varnish, original sock with label, and wooden tip protector. I've alerted Rick's Rods and South Creek Ltd here in the Denver area so far, but also trust that one of you might also recognise a GS1062 if it happened to walk in the door. Fex Ex is investigating, but please contact me by PM or on the numbers below, should you see the rod? Many thanks. Pictures are available on request.

The rod itself, is pictured on the AntiqueRodsandReels website, here is the link to pictures of the rod:

https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/212

I still have not mastered posing pictures on this site directly.

Jim McCray
Denver, CO
415-867-3495
jmccray448@gmail.com
Last edited by jimmymac448 on 02/09/22 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Goodwin Granger GS1062 - Stolen/Lost in Transit of Fed Ex Feb 6, 2022

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Yikes, the nightmare of anyone who's ever shipped a nice rod...
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Photos may help to ID the rod should someone encounter it

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

My original post now has a link to pictures of the rod on the AntiqueRodsandReels website. At one point, the rod was owned by Richard, who runs that site. It is/was a wonderful rod, but too big for my needs. I sold it last month, and it was being sent back to me to repair some guides that the new owner broke lawn casting. I have not been able to master loading up pictures on this site. Here is the link:

https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/212

Jim

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I missed that link - but grip seems distinctive enough to be recognized

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Jim,
Just saw this. Sorry to hear about the missing rod, that really stinks. I've never had that happen but would love to catch the creep that stole it.
Are you sure that it's the same rod that's on Richard's site?
I bought that rod from Richard quite a few years ago and eventually decided to move it along several years ago because I had 2 of them.
That is a very distinctive label and should be easy to identify. That very rod bag/label is also pictured in Michael Sinclair's latest Granger book on pg(s) 160-161. I submitted the photo(s) when Michael was looking for material for the book. I thought I sold that rod to a collector in the Southeast, but maybe not, it was a while ago. I may still have pictures somewhere too, if you need them for anything.
Best of luck with Fed-Ex and getting to the bottom of it. I will certainly keep an eye out.
Dana

jimmymac448

Post by jimmymac448 »

I bought it from a Granger collector in the SF Bay area in November who had bought it from someone out east. I had read Sinclair's book pror to purchasing, and could understand how rare it might be. I spoke to Richard about it as well. I lawn cast it and found It was too big for me. The close ups of the guides indicated to me it was the same rod. On tip/ferrule/guide has a older re-wrap on the ferrule side, and several others as well. Whether it's the same rod, or it's brother from a different mother is history now. Fed Ex is still investigating. The label on the rod sack was similar, just worn more from handling, IMHO.

Jim :'(

mtnman
Guide

Post by mtnman »

Howdy Jim,

So sorry to hear about this/your rod being lost! It was in my Granger collection not to long ago and made its way to me sometime after Dana had it. I sold it to a good customer in the CA bay area whom I believe you must have purchased it from. I kind of regretted selling it afterwards as it is a very rare and hard to find Granger.

I still have a fresh set of photos from when I posted it for sale and if you like I would be happy to forward them to you for use here and or elsewhere. Just shoot me a PM or you can click on my website address below and grab my email address and contact me that way.

Good luck and sure hope it turns up for you.

Russ
Russ Gabel
Frazier Mountain Fly Fishing Company
http://www.fraziermountainflyfishing.com/

Return to “Forum Announcements”