Orvis Guide Wrap Repair

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Kookie

Orvis Guide Wrap Repair

Post by Kookie »

Hello All,

I acquired an Orvis Battenkill 8ft, 3pc rod that needs the striping guide wrap repaired or replaced. The rod was manufactured in the 1989-90 time frame.

It looks like the stripping guide got pull loose somehow and the original owner just dabbed some finish on the loosened thread wraps. The guide is still a bit loose and I want to get this repaired so I can take it on a trip out west this summer. I don’t think Orvis will be able to turn it around in time if I send it to them.

Any suggestions on who or where to send the rod for the repair? Although I would like to get the repair done in time for my July trip, I would rather it be done correctly with matching thread even if it takes longer.

Thank you for your help.

Skeet1969
Guide

Re: Orvis Guide Wrap Repair

Post by Skeet1969 »

Not sure where you are located, but Marty DeSapio or Art Weiler (NJ and PA respectively) will make short work of that, and it will be like new. There are probably many others that will be suggested, but - I have examples of these two craftsmen's work, and can strongly suggest either.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I would send to Orvis, but I understand you are under a time constraint.

Mike B

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

With Orvis rods being impregnated, they are the easiest guides to repair. Get a spool of 541 from somebody on this forum and do it yourself. It’s quite simple and I’m sure that there are plenty of YouTube videos. If you are a bamboo guy, it would be a good idea to learn this easy process for possible future repairs.

quadrate
Guide

Post by quadrate »

That's not 541 in those pictures.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Fix it with whatever you have now then have it set right after your trip.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

quadrate wrote:
02/12/22 19:16
That's not 541 in those pictures.
Yeah, I did not look close enough, not the typical 541. Either way, should not be hard to find and the point was to fix it yourself.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Kathy Jensen sent me this years ago, she won't mind me posting it:

"Hi Greg,

...I'm replacing a couple guides on this one. (dried out wraps on one & one broken guide) I used Gudebrod silk #832, 00 on the old wooden spool, with varnish. Real nice match, just in case someone asks you for suggestions. On some of the older ones I've used the newer Gudebrod silk to get the cranberry color, #541 silk to get the brown, #832 nylon for the lighter tan examples.

Best regards,
Kathy

Kathy Jensen, Business Mgr.
For Michael D. Clark, Rodmaker"

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”