Two Lightweights...fix or sell?

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Two Lightweights...fix or sell?

Post by billems »

I own two Hardy lightweights, an LRH and a Featherweight. They're fairly dogged up looking from years of use, but both function fairly well. Last season, I bought one of the new Marquis #5s, and I just it. Smoother than an old CFO, if you can believe it. Sounds great, too. It's a vast improvement over the old Marquis. And I love the open spool. SO...the Featherweight has a cracked frame. The LRH has a bent spool. I contacted Mr. Archuleta about a repair, and it'd cost nearly $200 to get them fixed and refurbished. He's also backed up for a few months. I'm thinking about just getting another Marquis, and just selling the lighweights. However, do any of you know some other Hardy fixers who can offer a quick turnaround?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Two Lightweights...fix or sell?

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

You can bend the spool with a wooden dowel... and light pressure.

Maybe fix the crack in the frame with JBWeld.

I say sell neither.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

You could also part them out, sell the Featherweight spool, the springs and pawls, the latch assemblies, etc. Probably a better outcome than selling the repaired reels whole.

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

I think do like Brian Shaffer suggested. Try to fix, then use them. There's something special about using fix equipment. It's soooo easy to get all heady and woozy over perfect gear, but fixed gear has evidence of use, and when it comes to this kind of stuff, use is love. Even if the damage happened during something cloddish and stupid. It was still with you, presumably on a trip, when the spool got bent. Imperfection is perfection! (I didn't make that up, but it seems true.)

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”